Another week in lockdown. It’s all starting to feel a bit samey isn’t it?
Well, in all honesty I’ve done NOTHING on my game this week. I did recently buy myself an Xbone controller, so I have been messing about adding gamepad controls to my menu example projects. Just need to get the wording together and those can go out into the world as a new tutorial soon! Fun fact, the browser API for gamepads picked up my Bluetooth Jabra mic as a controller. Weird.
Last week, someone did request a video of my game in its current state, and I will put something together, but not quite yet. There are a few strange things that have cropped up since making the giant layout and I want to see if I can figure those out first. But the good news is that stuff I’ve not looked at in forever like the random encounter thing still works as it did before I started messing with the project again! One less broken thing to worry about!
I have started sketching a mock-up of how I think the inventory might look in the game, which means I can start working out what functionality each bit will need to have.
The main idea is that items will be sorted into categories, so the inventory will have several different ‘tabs’ to show different kinds of items. Small icons will show all the items in an individual tab, while the currently selected item will be highlighted and showcased on the right-hand side with a larger image and a small bit of text about the item.
Once I’ve got it figured out and in a working state I can start both creating a tutorial for it and importing it into my own game! But currently, getting my brain to actually focus on these things is proving to be a challenge – thanks lockdown. Ah well, we soldier on anyway.