A lot of people have been asking how to use Gravatar, and why we use it.
How does Gravatar work?
Once you register an account with us, you also type in your email address. What then happens when someone views a webpage with your avatar on it, is our server securely hashes your email address, and sends the hash off to the Gravatar server.
Take a look at my avatar for example, right click on it and view source. The image URL is:
The gobbledegook at the end is the hash of my email. No one will be able to tell what your email address is, we never send that raw data over to Gravatar!
Now try clicking on that link:
If you don't have a Gravatar account, we display a default avatar. If you DO have a Gravatar account, it sends us back the avatar you chose!
New to Gravatar?
Registering on Gravatar is super easy and quick. Just click sign up, enter the same email address you signed up to this site with, and click the email confirmation link. You can then choose your avatar, and conveniently, it will also appear on a lot of other sites! One avatar to rule them all!
Why did we choose it?
There are a lot of benefits using Gravatar:
- We don't need to server avatars, we save a lot of bandwidth!
- We can automatically block offensive or non family safe images, currently the site only accepts PG or lower avatars
- A lot of people already use Gravatar, and will like it's implementation on here
- This site should load faster and resources downloaded from multiple locations can be downloaded in parallel
- The gravatar API is really useful, it allows us to resize your avatar to whatever size we want (for different parts of the site) really easily
I hope you all understand why we made this choice now, and see the benefits and usefullness of it all. We understand for some of you it's another thing to sign up for, but as users of Gravatar ourselves we found the whole process really quick and easy, and extremely convenient!