Rollercoaster Tycoon style game - should I continue?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Single Track kit that includes wav files for the Beat, Lead, Sub and the MP3 loop.
  • I always loved the Rollercoaster Tycoon series. And I actually prefer the 2D isometric fake-3D style (like in RCP2).

• I think that's kind of a cool idea, the dinosaur park. Except that it's going to take quite some effort to get proper graphics (read: animations) for dinosaurs, even for top-down. But then again, it's all about searching for that one affordable artist who can pull it off.

It does sound like that you don't know where to go with your game. When starting, I personally find it best to have a good idea of what the game should be. Admittedly, I start with an idea, visualize it on paper, and then 'wing it' as I go by adding more features and ideas. Anyway I digress.

Just saying, perhaps it would be easier to give your game direction if you had an idea on the table. All it takes from there on are audio, graphics and programming. I think you are at least capable of the latter.

If you want the game greenlit on Steam then I think it will need to be in an advanced stage. Like where you have a small demo, but the graphics and perhaps audio, or at least a soundtrack in place. People can be crude, especially with the flood of new games in that section.

So if I were you, I'd really think well about platform and the idea. If it would be a theme park in RCT style, then people on Steam might be like; 'what is the added value/difference with Planet Coaster, Parkitect etc.? But if you go to the Kongregate or Newgrounds then you'll have an audience that love to play these small 'in a box' games.

Or at least that's how I view it.

Also, you could collaborate with an artist. I don't know how much exactly, but art may cost you hundreds of bucks.

- R

Ya the payment of the artist won't be a problem once it hits that stage. You're right though, I think I set the game as a goal for learning C2 but am kinda winging it. Making each mechanic was like a goal to me and now I've achieved all of these I've hit a brick wall on whether to really push it, which was the reason for this post. I knew the games existed but didn't really notice until now that there are a lot of high level theme park games. I might just push on with an RTS, at least then I could design some unique gameplay.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well, I'm kinda winging it too, since I'm only a starting and an indie developer, winging becomes part of the job. But I'm enjoying the process of making games. But also treat it bit like a business or work. It is work after all.

But RTS is always interesting too. Not sure what you have in mind though.

• Well, I'm kinda winging it too, since I'm only a starting and an indie developer, winging becomes part of the job. But I'm enjoying the process of making games. But also treat it bit like a business or work. It is work after all.

But RTS is always interesting too. Not sure what you have in mind though.

Command & Conquer style, just using that as a base idea. I'm reusing the construction grid stuff from the theme park idea and I've since got units grouped and moving to locations and attacking buildings. Was a busy weekend.

• I always loved the Rollercoaster Tycoon series. And I actually prefer the 2D isometric fake-3D style (like in RCP2).

Yeah I like that style but tough to make in C2. I've seen some examples about for isometric, usually very complex. I'm trying a standard top down view for mine.

• Yeah I like that style but tough to make in C2. I've seen some examples about for isometric, usually very complex. I'm trying a standard top down view for mine.

Yea, the math required to fake a coaster going around a simple loop in 2D is a bit extreme.

• > Yeah I like that style but tough to make in C2. I've seen some examples about for isometric, usually very complex. I'm trying a standard top down view for mine.

>

Yea, the math required to fake a coaster going around a simple loop in 2D is a bit extreme.

Well in C2 I would've just played sprite animations of rides. I know the isometric view is possible but I don't think I'll look into it yet. I've decided on an RTS now anyway as it's open to changing the theme to something unique.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)