Not enough video memory.

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
8-bit retro-style music and sound effects: 10 loops-able music tracks and 301 individual SFX!
  • When a friend of mine tries to open a new file he gets this error message:

There is not enough video memory to open this frame editor. Please close some other editors and try again.

He's computer is an old Gateway from like 1999 or so. It has Windows ME, with 550 MHz, 384 MB RAM, and a 3dfx graphics card. Does he need a new computer, or can it be solved in some other way?

• To be honest i am not suprised he gets the error, with such little resources available. I am no expert though, but to be honest 384 ram is extremely low. And Windows ME is a terrible operating system as well.

• 1999? That's pretty much an antique! I'm not surprised at all this happens, because the first thing Construct does when you open a new layout is create some display surfaces. I'd be interested to know how much video RAM is on that graphics card.

He could try changing to a lower resolution (eg. 800x600 instead of 1024x768), which means the display surfaces are smaller and take up less memory. Apart from that, just buy a new computer. Construct uses up-to-date technology. We don't and won't support anything pre-Windows 2000. You'll have a hard time running Construct on video cards made in the 90s anyway.

• Construct runs great on my machine, which was bought in '98. It's a P3 600, 450MB of ram and a Geforce MX 420. And XP. Probably all he needs is a new graphics card and XP, which would be cheaper than a whole new computer.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Construct runs great on my machine, which was bought in '98. It's a P3 600, 450MB of ram and a Geforce MX 420. And XP. Probably all he needs is a new graphics card and XP, which would be cheaper than a whole new computer.

Actually with anything that old you'd be better off buying a whole new rig (I don't mean to sound like a spoiled snob here, my computers are still bad too)

But it's a bit of a waste of money updating outdated technology bit-by-bit, because you either update the motherboard first and have to build the rest of it later on your new Mobo or you update the motherboard later in which case you've gone and spent money on something probably incompatible.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)