0 Favourites

ZIP object

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • From what I have garnered from object information of the ZIP, a couple useful features are missing:

• remove a file (it supports adding, but not removing files from the archive)
    • password protection (so that nobody but the executable can access the zip)

A couple trivial things, but they would greatly expand the practical uses of ZIP object, such as an use as save file.

• Removing files isn't actually supported by the ZLIB API (and I don't actually see why it'd be that useful, though if you have a particular example it's doable by other methods).

Password protection is fairly useful, so I'll add it to the request list for a future build.

• Construct 3

Buy Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Buy Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • For example I'm going to use hashtables for each entity, if a number of entities gets into hundreds, I imagine simply saving hashtables would result in hundreds of small files. Not good. So I was thinking I could dump them into the ZIP.

On another thought, I guess there is no point of removing a specific file at all if I'm just using this to save and load the game. Either load all or don't load at all. Dynamic file structure - such as some sort of database - would probably be better off with something other than the ZIP due to the performance hit.

Thanks!

Edit: Funny thing, I was experiencing a crash on closing the application until I removed the ZIP object. All I could get was runtime error popup, which disappeared too quickly.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)