I would still consider myself at the beginner stages of C2 and most of the projects I have been working on have been very small. Therefore I have not required much use of the debugger and haven't spent much time optimizing.
I recently exported a project and seems to run good on computer and my iphone6, but when I pulled it up on my ipad was not running smoothly. I have spent most of my day today trying to optimize and make it run more efficiently, reading everything I could find on Construct website (Tips for Performance, Optimisation: Don't waste your time, pages on the debugger, Ashley's blog posts, searched forums, etc.). Most everything I read made sense and seemed helpful but I spent time implementing nothing I have done seemed to increase the fps when debugging. Some of the changes seemed to even make it slower.
Anyway, I just seemed a little confused on what to focus on and what to try next. The performance stats don't mean much to me as I don't have much experience to compare them to. I know the goal is 60 fps, mine have spent most of the time between 10-24. I haven't read anything on average CPU utilisation. I have read to try and keep image memory under 100mb and Objects under 1000, so this seems fairly small project compared to those numbers.
I reduced objects from just over 100 to in the 60s by removing unnecessary ones and creating a tilemap for repetitive ones.
I removed all of my collision check events by using compare X or Compare Y events.
This project does use physics but besides the immovable objects (mainly the floor) there are only 8 physics objects. I have tried destroying some in the debugger but does not increase the fps.
7 physics objects are hinged together with joints, I'm sure that takes some cpu, but not sure what can be done to make it reduce it in that aspect. Would it help if I tried to get all of the objects masses close to each other?
The next thing I was going to try is to reduce as many image sizes for sprites that I can (a lot of it is pixel drawn so reduction of quality not a concern). But I didn't know if that would help fps at all, just the download size.
This is a left to right game. The other thought was instead of having everything laid out would be to make events to create everything at certain points. Like I said I am still beginning and that is one of the next things I want to look into - instead of laying everything out in the layout figuring out how more complicated games are built. But as nothing off screen in this game is really moving or active I doubt that would help as they are all 'asleep' and not being rendered.
Sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much information as possible so anyone wanting to help may be able to spot a problem area.
Here are some stats copied from beginning of debugger:
Frames per second 11 (90.9 ms/frame)
Est. CPU utilisation 47.1%
Est. image memory 16.8 mb
Object count 64
Collision checks/sec 0 (~0/tick)
Poly checks/sec 0 (~0/tick)
Moved cell/sec 0 (~0/tick)
Cell count 0
Moved render cell/sec 0 (~0/tick)
Render cell count 0
The stats at the bottom of the project read:
Approx download 3.8mb memory use 21.2mb Events 51