Picking SpriteFont objects by Text instance var

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Change delay, create new lines, "backspace" the text
  • Something that I thought would be trivial has taken me some trouble to work out. I have a number of SpriteFont objects in a layout and I'm trying to set their text individually. I have a Text instance variable in my SpriteFont object called something like WhatTextIsThis and setting each instance to "score1", "score2" or similar. When I try and pick an instance by evaluating SpriteFont.WhatTextIsThis = "score1" (for example) I get no objects picked. I tried lots of things and finally decided to use a simple numbering scheme, which worked immediately. What would be the problem with using Text in this case? I double checked that I'm comparing the correct text. Thanks.

• Not sure what the problem is but using text works so you have overlooked something.

Did you add the instance variable as a "string" since "score1" is not a number if you use =score1 and add the instance variable as a number it won't be equal.

A version working using "score1" as a variable.

[attachment=0:29ykiom3][/attachment:29ykiom3]

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for that. Yes definitely a Text instance variable, just double checked. I'll check your sample and post back if and when I work out what I've done wrong. BTW as a test I changed the evaluation to use <> instead of = and *all* instances were picked.

Edit: Ok looking closer at your sample, I noticed that you don't have quotes around your text in the initial values. To me it was intuitive to use quotes as it's a string, but anyway! Thanks for helping me see this.

Edit 2: And also I had a redundant 'pick by evaluate' condition instead of a simple Compare Instance Variable condition.

• Just a final note.. The Construct editor puts an initial value of "" for Text instance variables, which is obviously misleading and should probably be removed.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)