Quicksave/Quickload like in CC?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • Hey,

So I came across this post recently, in which Ashley states that the quicksave/quickload function will hopefully be available within the next few stable releases.

It's been a while since that post, and there is still no sign of it arriving. I know that Scirra has a long to-do list, but I feel that this feature should have a higher priority than most on there.

First off, the current state of saving in C2 is fine for small games. But once you start getting into more complex layouts and more variables and objects, saving becomes an extremely arduous task. If you look at most of the games on the arcade, they are all small, short and fun games. There are next to no decent length RPG's, adventures, or anything else that requires a simpler way of saving.

I just think that the lack of this feature is preventing C2 from making the jump from 'mini-game engine' to a full-fledged 'game engine'.

If this post sounded accusing in any way, I'm sorry. I don't mean to point the finger of blame towards Scirra in any way, means, or form, I'm just trying to present my point in a way that will hopefully show how urgently this feature is needed.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

• It's on the todo list, still no ETA I'm afraid!

• Seems everyone wants this feature for large-scale RPGs and such but I question how it benefits them at all. Maybe I'm missing something, but for a large project you'll need complete and total control over every aspect of your saved data which isn't what you're getting with save states. Plus if you're loading levels externally, which you probably should for said projects, then they're useless.

For complex subscreens and such you want contained in separate layouts, however, this is a godsend. You could save state, go to said layout, return to the original, and pick up where you left off. That said, I'm looking forward to this feature :)

• I agree with I find it hard to understand how an automatic "save" would benefit large projects, especially in the case of RPGs which have levels powered by a custom engine and loaded externally.

• Tokinsom Fimbul But wouldn't the automatic save also keep all of the sprites the way they were? With all of their own instance variables and such? You could go as in-depth as you want, and just have it all be right there when you need it. You could destroy objects, save, leave the layout, come back, and it would still be destroyed. You go up a level? Your player's sprite's instance variable for 'Level' goes up by 1, his instance variable for 'Strength' goes up by 1, and etc. You would still have plenty of access to whatever variables you wanted.

• You can do a lot of that with the instance bank plugin. http://www.scirra.com/forum/topic62131.html

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Arima I realized that, however I still think native support would be better. A quicksave would be one event, and instead of loading everything into the bank and then out, it would do it automatically. But yes, rex's plugin is the best workaround until native support comes out.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)