Is performance really that bad?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Game maker is older than C2 and has it's own language, the gmscript, you must have some programming experience to use it at it's full potential, the GM users, or most of them, know what can be done and what can't be done, how to optimize and what happens under the hood, that's good and bad, good as C2's target audience is bigger and bad as it's mostly less cultured in computer science, that may lead to bad usage of the engine and blames when even the hardware can't manage it, that leads to many differences between a GM beginner and a C2 beginner, remember, C2 is (kinda) just as GM, a compiler with a GUI and a library, compiling your events into a JavaScript output, thus, limited to what JavaScript can do

Alright, I get you man.

So as a C2 beginner, what computing knowledge would you say I need to learn to before I could make a respectable, high quality game? I've made a platformer and a top down shooter using the respective tutorials, without any code or programming. Now I want to get my knowledge to a point where my next game can compete with the best on Newgrounds. I have ideas all ready, just need to technical ability to convert them into a quality product.

• Alright, I get you man.

So as a C2 beginner, what computing knowledge would you say I need to learn to before I could make a respectable, high quality game? I've made a platformer and a top down shooter using the respective tutorials, without any code or programming. Now I want to get my knowledge to a point where my next game can compete with the best on Newgrounds. I have ideas all ready, just need to technical ability to convert them into a quality product.

PC games can really go all out as they tend not to have performance issues (tend not too, doesn't mean it wont happen with sloppy game code n design). So the most important thing is visual and gameplay, for that, you need a real artist if you want to make top quality games.

• I have seen some pretty large games made through Construct 2 already that play fine on my Android device. From what I gather so far, Construct 2 performs fine granted you keep in mind the limitations of the platforms you are programming for and make sure to use your resources wisely. There are probably 10 different ways to implement a specific feature into your game but you are going to want to use the least complicated way that has the smallest footprint.

As others have said, because of the broader target audience of Construct 2, it allows for poor code practices. The better you are at organizing your project, events, objects, so forth, the better your game will probably run. There are also a multitude of resources on this site that address things like do and don't, gotcha's, and general tips when it comes to performance:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/top/pa ... e=detailed

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • liquidsnake

A way to test your knowledge would be to clone an old game like pacman or gradius without any tutorials, if you can do that then your are competent enough

• When people pose these questions I see replies saying that C2 is a powerful tool and can handle any 2D game, but I never see an actual comparison to similar software. Is C2 objectively as good as the likes of game maker and stencyl? Sure, using C2 incorrectly leads to poor performance, but if game maker can handle it (for example) then that makes game maker a better option for a beginner. I understand that it's hard to be unbiased when you've already invested in one game engine, but I can't find a genuine comparison of the options for making a 2D game.

You can't really write a completely objective answer to this question because which is better is mostly a subjective thing. Yes, game maker's logic may be faster, but if C2 is more than fast enough already - which on PC it is for pretty much any game - all that extra speed is unused. The much bigger difference between the softwares is the workflow, such as typing code vs creating events. And in that matter, I vastly prefer C2 - and I say that as having tried many different tools, including GM, before having found construct.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)