graphics card / integrated graphics question:

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Over 1700 16x16 pixel art RPG icons for item and skills
  • When you installed C2. C2 will verify that your graphic-card is compatible or not. So if C2 verify that means it's OK other wise C2 will notify you that your card is not compatible

• My advice is go for AMD graphics card and not nVidia, Your choice

• I don't get what you mean either, ASHLEY.

With intel's i3/i5/i7 series, all you have to do is go into the bios and select PCI EXPRESS GRAPHICS, that will completely disable the integrated H55 chipset, right? Cause otherwise gamers would be furious and flocking to AMD since intel would be gimping their system.

Either I'm missing something, or you misunderstood the OP (hint: he's not talking about SLI or Crossfire).

My advice is go for AMD graphics card and not nVidia, Your choice

My advice is the opposite, go with nVidia: AMD suffered from poor drivers in the past, especially in regards to OpenGL (which is what makes WebGL work).

• I don't get what you mean either, ASHLEY.

With intel's i3/i5/i7 series, all you have to do is go into the bios and select PCI EXPRESS GRAPHICS, that will completely disable the integrated H55 chipset, right? Cause otherwise gamers would be furious and flocking to AMD since intel would be gimping their system.

Either I'm missing something, or you misunderstood the OP (hint: he's not talking about SLI or Crossfire).

> My advice is go for AMD graphics card and not nVidia, Your choice

>

My advice is the opposite, go with nVidia: AMD suffered from poor drivers in the past, especially in regards to OpenGL (which is what makes WebGL work).

• What fimbul said, sort of.

So would gtx 750 ti work then? Guess fimbul is saying yes? Just go BIOS and select graphics card, download latest drivers and I'm set then?

• I can't offer any advice for a gtx 750 ti, as I've never owned one.

In any case, you should be set if your card is even modestly young. Heck, I've had success with intel's crappy h55 (admittedly Intel has come a long way since the horrible integrated chipsets of old).

The most important thing I consider nowadays is triple-monitor support. Make sure the card can actually support 3 monitors, though - just because it has three ports doesn't mean it can run three monitors!

As for the setup, you're pretty much right, just go BIOS and select PEG (this is your card, it stands for PCI EXPRESS GRAPHICS). Remember to disable intel's card completely (in the bios) and plug your monitors to the right slot (again, your card, not your mobo). Then download the latest drivers and you should be set.

Considering the other system requirements, here are a few things to note:

• Dual monitors are better than single monitors, especially for construct (since you can code in one monitor and preview in the other). Once you go dual, you can never go single again. However, triple monitors are even better since it gives you a central point for your vision. When working with construct, I usually have construct on the left, brackets (a javascript editor) in the middle (since I sometimes create plugins, you don't have to do this), and chrome/firefox on the right
    • An SSD is very nice, especially to cut boot times, but if your main use is construct, I don't know if I'd bother. They're pretty expensive, and only make a difference with i/o heavy applications (such as photoshop, AfterEffects, AudaCity). If you're going to use the PC for gaming, SSDs cut loading times by a lot, but they don't do much else.
    • If you're like me, you'll want to have a load of programs/tabs open at once, so you might want 8Gb of ram instead of 4Gb. Ram sticks are pretty cheap. If you have a choice, go with the biggest sticks you can grab (to give you room to upgrade), but get at least two sticks (so that you can dual-channel). I.e.: 2x4Gb is better than 1x8Gb as well as better than 4x2Gb.
  • Thanks a lot dude! For finally an answer that makes sense! Yeah, will get 8(2x4)GB ram. Will consider dual triple monitor (in few months due to current budget limitations). Think remember 750 ti being good for dual monitor. Will look again. I know my motherboard supports 3 monitors.

I play online poker and will game a bit. Mainly building this to test my poker idea so clueless as to what I'm getting into (lol-probably really obvious)

Thanks again Fimbul

• Transform hunreds of PC games into stereoscopic 3D and enjoy immersive full HD 3D gaming across three displays at an incredible 5760 x 1080 resolution.

Delivers double the bandwidth per lane of PCIe 2.0 for faster GPU-CPU communication.

Guess that's sorted as supports 3!

• I would specifically recommend against getting a dual-GPU system. With the state of current drivers from both AMD and nVidia, it can be difficult to get the system to actually use the powerful GPU, and you get stuck using the weak integrated GPU even though there's more powerful hardware in the system.

I think he is talking about laptops (ie, nvidia optimus issues), not desktops or SLI systems.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Aah. That's a relief

• Good luck your choice

• Yeah, it's only really laptops that come with the crappy dual-GPU setup. If you're doing a custom desktop build and are installing your own discrete graphics card, that should be fine. Just don't rely on Intel graphics

• Yeah, it's only really laptops that come with the crappy dual-GPU setup. If you're doing a custom desktop build and are installing your own discrete graphics card, that should be fine. Just don't rely on Intel graphics

Thanks

This is what i wanted to know all along. It is a custom build, though i was hoping to not have to buy a discrete graphics card. No worries, I'll squeeze my budget a little longer.

Thanks for the help everyone, hope to be back on here soon on my new PC )

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)