AUGH crazy amounts of spam

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • That is it broken down. I can't imagine programming this would take much, but it has to be weighed against its worth and how much spam there actually is. Because when mods are on, spam threads usually disappear fairly fast. It's only when we get waves of spam that it helps to have a cleanup crew.

All of what you suggested is actually baked into phpBBs Newly Registered Usergroup settings, though it looks like Scirra use some propriety (?) software to manage user permissions and customisation.

The spam is annoying, but it hardly messes up my day.

• It's not so bad when it's one or two ugly posts, but when I click view new posts and literally see not one real post for the whole first page, it's quite frustrating.

I agree somebody should do something...

• Need more mods.

I would volunteer, but my ban hammer is unwieldy.

• Holy crap, the first 6 pages of new posts are almost entirely spam.

This is the worst spam wave I've ever seen on this forum.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • That was just crazy. Wow...

• Ok, I think I've got it all cleaned up.

everyone I realize that reporting all that spam is ridiculous, but most of it doesn't need to be reported as most of it is obvious because it's a thread called 'live stream' or something. We don't need that reported, as it shows up clearly in the new threads list.

What we really need reported is spam that's sneaked into an already existing legit thread because we can't read everything that gets posted on the forum. Fortunately, most spam is made in a new thread, so there won't be as much of that to report. Thanks to everyone who does so, it helps us a bunch.

• Thank you Arima !!!

• Arima you should just leave the spam. Tom is never going to do anything about it if you keep cleaning it up. If you leave it he will see the extent of the problem. I think it's now going beyond the work a volunteer should do for free on behalf of another company.

• Arima you should just leave the spam. Tom is never going to do anything about it if you keep cleaning it up. If you leave it he will see the extent of the problem. I think it's now going beyond the work a volunteer should do for free on behalf of another company.

But then tom will have to come up with a solution, which means less time dedicated to the scirra store.

• Sorry guys, I know it's been bad for a while and I shouldn't be relying on volunteers to clean it all up. I'll spend some time tomorrow adding in new features to reduce the amount of spam. Since we've put the new forum online I've realised Akismet is no longer running on it, and there appears to be a couple of problems with new users being allowed to post links.

• Also just a note, we now have a CAPTCHA form so if any are getting through it's likely a human spam farm of some sort.

• Great news, it was getting a little bit annoying

• Thanks Tom!

• Uploaded following changes:

• Fixed a few bugs with editing post permitting posting of links
    • Fixed bugs allowing linking with images
    • Installed Akismet back on to help with spam protection

Let's see how this goes. New users should now not be able to post any clickable links at all. CAPTCHA is on registration, and email verification is required. Hopefully these inconveniences are enough for them to stop.

Surprised they keep signing up, I think it's a human spam farm as they bypass the CAPTCHA no problem.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)