Store Discount Traps

0 favourites
  • 1 posts
  • Tom

Hey Tom!

Are bundles really supposed to stack on top of single product discounts?

You might think right now "yes, sounds plausible", but please hear me out.

For example:

• Create 2 items priced at £10.
    • Add both items to a bundle and at a discount of 40% on each of these items.

As a seller i would expect this bundle to always sell at a 40% discount on the original base price.

A few months later you add a 50% discount on these individual items during the same time period (Christmas for example).

Now the bundle is sold at £6, without being indicated as stacked discount for neither the seller nor the buyer, at any stage of the process.

But that's not enough with the hidden surprises.

"Maximum Discount in Site Sales" has a very misleading name and description.

On occasion, we may do large coordinated sales. Enter the maximum % discount you'd be willing to allow on this asset for the duration of these sales. The larger the discount, the more likely your item is to be featured. This discount does not affect exclusive pricing if set.

I originally expected that you coordinate a certain discount value for the entire site (like 50% discount on all items above the max threshold), so i need to set my max value high enough to be included in your site sale. Cool, so if i go as high as possible i will be included in every sale, right? D-Day arrives - My items were sold with a 40% Bundle Discount on top of the 99% item discounts. cool cool cool cool cool cool...

Ok then let's stop this madness. Right?:

You cannot change the price of an item when it is on discount, and you cannot cancel a discount unless it has not yet started. During a discount, the item cannot be removed from sale.

I get it, be broke stay broke. At least i get a few pennies, right?:

VAT + Scirra Cut + Processor Fee + Exchange rate

Oh the riches... you can not imagine how it feels like when a single quark appears in your imaginary wallet. But hey.... at least i did not pay for my sales! :P

But jokes aside. It feels and handles like a set of traps for sellers. I'm not really familiar with asset stores, so maybe that's normal. But it could be more seller friendly (or predictable) for sure. Adding the lacking info would be friendly. Adapting the system would be lovely.

I fell for these traps a long time ago, so i learned my lessons the hard way. But maybe this helps to improve it for upcoming seller generations.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)