C2 Data Editor (Tools)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make your craft game come to life with this sounds :D
  • As i am working alot with this tool lately i want to give you some feedback:

thanks

Patrick

Thanks much for the feedback... I really appreciate it!

1) Sorting by numbers - I am using components made by others and since their components do not support this neither do I...sorry... I will look into the ability to designate some columns as numbers rather than strings when you create a column... this might fix the issue.

2) I will work on some tutorials showing how to use the sample CRUD functions. The "C2 Data Editor Demo.capx" that comes with the package shows these functions being used so you can look at that code to see what it is doing.

3) The next update will include the ability to search for and replace empty fields!

4) I tried to overwrite data by dragging and dropping rows many times and I could not reproduce what you are describing. If you can explain the exact steps of how you can get this to happen I will look at it again.. I will look at adding a copy row feature soon.

Thanks again!

• Update:

When i try to edit a row sometimes it jumps to the first row and overwrites this value insted of the actual selected cell... the thing that i have to click serveral times is really annoying.

when i set the colum with it doesnt get saved. as soon as i add a new colum it gets reseted also when i restart thge tool whats making the work with big tables very hard.

regards.

1) I could not reproduce clicking a cell and having it jump to the first row. If you can explain the exact steps that lead to this happening I will look at it again.

2) Clicking to edit a cell is standard grid behavior that comes built into the grid component I am using. Click once to select cell and click once more to begin editing.

3) I will look into adding the ability to remember column widths for the next version.

Thanks again!

• A new update has just been uploaded. Everyone should receive an email in the next 24 hours with download instructions.

From the Changes.txt file:

* Bug fixes

* Added "Remove Sort" button to the Array Editor screen so the data can be reset back to the default sort order.

* The main screen now sorts data objects by name.

* Added two new DataSet Functions (SearchBetweenFindFirst and SearchBetweenReturnColumn).

* Add ability to replace empty fields with a value using the Search And Replace dialog.

* Sort objects list in the "Select To Inject" dialog.

Descriptions of the two new DataSet Functions:

SearchBetweenFindFirst

- Search two columns (LowerBound and UpperBound) in a DataSet for a match where a search value falls between the LowerBound and UpperBound. If a match is found then the RowIndex for the matching row is returned.

SearchBetweenReturnColumn

- Search two columns (LowerBound and UpperBound) in a DataSet for a match where a search value falls between the LowerBound and UpperBound. If a match is found then the value of a column in that row is returned.

*** Don't forget to rate and review C2 Data Editor in the Scirra App Store!!!

• Great update, thank you very much!

I will try to reproduce the overwriting behavior and will try to explain it better

regards

• I'm on the fence here because I fear I don't fully understand what this is capable of but I thought I'd ask directly.

I'm looking for a way to implement a potentially highly complex dialogue system that will include localization and functions something like Guzimus system in the link below.

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/833/mod-side-story-a-walkthrough-of-a-text-dialog-mod

Is this tool worth looking further into for my purposes?

• I'm on the fence here because I fear I don't fully understand what this is capable of but I thought I'd ask directly.

I'm looking for a way to implement a potentially highly complex dialogue system that will include localization and functions something like Guzimus system in the link below.

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/833/mod-side-story-a-walkthrough-of-a-text-dialog-mod

Is this tool worth looking further into for my purposes?

Sure it is worth using.

The C2 Data Editor makes it a lot easier to maintain a local database of information and query that information.

That kind of tool can be used for a million different things whether it be an inventory of in-game items, a dialogue system, a list of monsters, etc.

The C2 Data Editor simply takes what is already available in Construct 2 as a manual process and automates a lot of it.

If you have ever made a computer program that used a SQL database then you already know the type of tools C2 Data Editor provides.

• Yes. Definitely would like to see a video tutorial. Looks very useful.

• A new update has just been uploaded. Everyone should receive an email in the next 24 hours with download instructions.

* Bug fixes

* Now asks you to save when you close the application

* Remembers the widths of the columns in the Array editor

* Can now copy and paste rows in the Array editor

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi ggibson1

Nice tool - just bought it.

Initial thougts after about an hour of playing with it;

• It would be nice to be able to rename arrays.
    • It would be nice to be able to rename columns.
    • The editor couldn't import a json file, C2 didn't have any problems with (probably because of tab formatting). I had to load the json in C2, and then download it again via C2 - not as smooth as I hoped.

Otherwise it seems to do the job I bought it for - props!

Cheers,

thegrind

• Hi ggibson1

Nice tool - just bought it.

Initial thougts after about an hour of playing with it;

• It would be nice to be able to rename arrays.
    • It would be nice to be able to rename columns.
    • The editor couldn't import a json file, C2 didn't have any problems with (probably because of tab formatting). I had to load the json in C2, and then download it again via C2 - not as smooth as I hoped.

Otherwise it seems to do the job I bought it for - props!

Cheers,

thegrind

Thanks for your feedback!

Your first two items are currently available in the C2 Data Editor. Renaming arrays is like renaming a file in Windows. Click once to select and click again to go into rename mode. To rename columns double click the column header.

I do not understand your third item. To import JSON already in C2 format you should paste it into the main screen.

Good luck!

• Thanks for your feedback!

Your first two items are currently available in the C2 Data Editor. Renaming arrays is like renaming a file in Windows. Click once to select and click again to go into rename mode. To rename columns double click the column header.

I do not understand your third item. To import JSON already in C2 format you should paste it into the main screen.

Good luck!

Nice, thank you for the clarification! I also got the JSON import to work from my original JSON file. Must have been some mistake on my side - I have no idea why, since even I, normally can handle the complexity of copy and pasting text

Cheers,

thegrind

• *EDIT*

Only updating here... I got it working: I noticed that I have to run the function to populate the arrays with data, otherwise there's only the function to populate in the event sheet but the array remains unpopulated.

It works in a bit different manner than I'm used to working with construct arrays, but now that I studied the differences it's fine - Thanks for a really useful tool =)

*ORIGINAL POST*

Hey ggibson1, I bought the editor and really like it, but for some reason I'm having a hard time getting the information out of it in Construct2.

How does it store the information in arrays for example? I set a textbox in construct to set text with every tick to Array.AsJSON, and I receive emptyresult showing that the array "data": []... regardless of having input a lot of data into that specific array. How would I return for example the first row result of first column that I have named as "earned"?

* Bug fixes

* Fixed an issue where characters were being converted to ????? characters because of incorrect string formatting.

• Just a heads up, if some of you experience errors injecting data into C2, and you think you are doing everything right. I just spend hours identifying this problem; check that your data strings doesn't contain non-breaking space at the end (which can be present when copy/pasting from some formats). This is not visible in the editor, but is encoded in the XML, and causes error when C2 is opening the data files.

• Having a hard time interacting with the data once it's been injected into the Construct project. At start of Layout I call the "CreateTestDB" function. The debugger says there are two arrays. An empty one and the one that has data that was created with the function call, but I can't interact with it.

I have a text object that every tick is displaying TestDB.At(0,0) and it always reads 0. I assume because it's reading the first array that is also called TestDB, but is empty.

And I included the Data event sheet with the search functions but those aren't working either. I wasn't completely clear from the manual but I assume all the results of a function call end up in the ResultSet array? But that stays empty the whole time.

The function call I am testing looks like this; "SearchColumnFindAllLike"(TestDB.UID, "ColumnName","String I am searching for")

Any help or direction anyone has would be appreciated. There is nothing about this program anywhere except here and the shop page. Otherwise it seems like it's going to be a huge time saver once I get it working. Thanks!

-daleinen

EDIT

The main problem I had was I was using a string as the second parameter. It needed to be 'ArrayName.ColumnName'. I also Destroy the Array before Creating a new one so that there is only one. I don't know that this is vital or not, but it seems a bit cleaner.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)