Weebly or just Html ?

0 favourites
  • Learning php, html, and CSS will let you do the most.

On my website all around games It a php script that includes the needed pages (so its easy to add pages) in Wordpress or another CMS site it would be easy to add a page, but you are limited in what you can do with the page.

For my user system I use Simple Machine Forum I have found it to be one of the easiest ways to have user management, without reinventing the wheel. Plus using an existing user management hook you get the security that they built into it.

I Do use Wordpress...for a blog. As it meant to be used. I haven't found anything better than wordpress for running a blog, but it seemed like a pain to bridge wordpress to a php website, or to forums. (Plus I was using SMF first)

Advertisement are something that I don't use. In the past (on a different website) I had advertisements. But they didn't do very well, and most people complained about them (they were just google ads) so I took them off. Now with Ad-Block plus you can have advertisements but many users will never see them. SO unless you have a ton of traffic, they more than likely won't make you anything. The other thing to keep in mind if you do ads is that most places have a minimum payout, and they only pay out once a month.

• Sandcrawler

Thx for info :)

I suppose I could use a Drupal forum else, phpbb ?

Anyhow, what I need is more than just simple forum thing hehe ^^ So I certainly hope I can change some stuff within existing user management systems OR add to them..

As for the Ads.. I need them:) I am volunteer working, and I need a money boost to travel around, funny enough, it is about once a month I travel :p

Edit:

I looked up the whole Adblocker thing, thank you ! :) I will definetly put a Disclaimer up and ask people to turn it off for my website :)

• If you want to start using Drupal and use it like an arcade games site, you need to learn basic things about HTML,PHP and MySQL :D

It's very easy to learn these languages -_^

I do my sites by coding it from scratch,i use PHP,MySQL and CSS...that's enough for what i need...now im just learning about Construct2 and after im gonna make games and combine with my sites, that's really nice for me,im a non-professional "webmaster" who likes to do his own things ^_^

For you the "easy" part it's making your games with C2, but the "hard" one it's to make the site to integrate your community xD!

so You need to learn what we recommended to you, and i need to learn about Construc,im new with it !

• hehe aight ^^

Took me about a week to build a wow bot with autoit from scratch :p

The other languages shoulnt be that much harder :p

• Sandcrawler

Thx for info :)

I suppose I could use a Drupal forum else, phpbb ?

Anyhow, what I need is more than just simple forum thing hehe ^^ So I certainly hope I can change some stuff within existing user management systems OR add to them..

As for the Ads.. I need them:) I am volunteer working, and I need a money boost to travel around, funny enough, it is about once a month I travel :p

Edit:

I looked up the whole Adblocker thing, thank you ! :) I will definetly put a Disclaimer up and ask people to turn it off for my website :)

Yea you could use just about any forum or CMS system. SMF has the easiest set up (SSI.php) this lets you use a number of build in functions, but you can also use other functions built into SMF (like BB tags on your website). In the past I used phpbb, but it was a pain in the ass to use, and at time it wouldn't work, they don't have a built in function for using phpbb on a custom php website. I've never used Drupal, but I would think they would have a way to do it. I wouldn't think of Simple Machine forum as a simple forum, in my opinion it has more and better features than phpbb. Enough so that I converted a three year old phpbb database over to SMF two or so years ago.

All you can do is try the ads, but I have a feeling that they won't work out very well. I use Ad block plus, and I've never disabled it for a website. You can possible stop people from viewing your website if they have an ad blocker, but the likelihood is that they just won't view it. The website that I had ads on in the past got around 2000 (unique) hits a month, and well lets just say it wasn't going to cover the costs, let alone travel. Even with the ad blockers shut off, most people still don't click them.

• Actually, if you're considering building a community site, I'd take a look at either BuddyPress (for WordPress) or Drupal Commons.

I haven't actually gotten around to trying out Drupal Commons, but I've heard incredible things about it. BuddyPress I have used and it's dead simple to setup a full-blown community hub with it.

Both of these solutions include integrated forums too, so you wouldn't need to install a forum software alongside them.

• I try out common then :p

Today I am learning Http and CSS <-(thx for the tip)

"Liquid website"

createafreewebsite.net/html_tutorial/basics-liquid-web-pages-4.html

Good tutorial to start out with I think :)

• Weebly is way too simplified => way too limited (my experience, true story)

Also CSS3 and HTML5 isn't too complicated. HTML5 is even simplier than HTML4 (i mean simple website, not all HTML5 fancy features)

• Today I am learning Http and CSS <-(thx for the tip)

Somebody previously mentioned HTML tutorials at http://www.html.net/ --

be sure to not miss the CSS tutorials that are on the same site at:

http://www.html.net/tutorials/css/

Also, if you learn well by example (as I do), then be sure to check out some examples that I wrote at:

http://www.adelphi.edu/~stemkoski/html-tutorials/tutorials.html

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thx ^^

Trying to get around Drupal at the moment :)

• I am still looking around a bit.

I think i am going to try this one for a smaller website i would like to set up:

wysiwygwebbuilder.com/index.html

(It looked soooo much like C2 :D)

• Or i might try Bluegriffon..

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)