Unreal Engine 4 Free

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
This pack is suitable for shooting games, running games, platform games, and side-scrollin.
  • With the new update to UE4 and Paper2d, this will change a lot of things. UE4 now has full support for HTML5 and WebGL...https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Support/Builds/ReleaseNotes/2015/4_7/index.html

Paper 2D is still experimental. Some stuff are really a pain in the ass compared to importing options in C2 for instance.

• You can't really compare C2 and UE4. Yes they both can make 2d games for most platform but here similarities ends. You need a bit more knowledge how to do thing, to make simple games in Ue4 than in C2.

• You can't really compare C2 and UE4. Yes they both can make 2d games for most platform but here similarities ends. You need a bit more knowledge how to do thing, to make simple games in Ue4 than in C2.

I am not comparing engines, I am comparing their workflows and the ratio dev speed/optimization.

Not really. You need more knowledge on how to do things in Impactjs, but UE3 is still an event based system. Once your brains can proceed the algorythm you just have to learn the soft, and that goes for every soft. And i won't go for a UE4 for 2D if I don't really need it. To be honest I don't see the point of even doing this when more reliable and stable solutions do exist.

Each time they update Paper 2D or their version of UE4 something breaks in my projects.

Unity is still the most reliable and effective option for 2D games if you want to go pro and have full control of what you are doing.

But yeah we can't really compare. But we do.

• > With the new update to UE4 and Paper2d, this will change a lot of things. UE4 now has full support for HTML5 and WebGL...https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Support/Builds/ReleaseNotes/2015/4_7/index.html

>

Paper 2D is still experimental. Some stuff are really a pain in the ass compared to importing options in C2 for instance.

Yes it's experimental, but it's made by epic. They have vast resources. At the same time it has visual scripting( much like the material editor in UDK) and there will be more and more templates added. Add in it costs 0 dollars to start a commercial game, and it has to be considered, or at least something to keep an eye on.

• >

> > With the new update to UE4 and Paper2d, this will change a lot of things. UE4 now has full support for HTML5 and WebGL...https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Support/Builds/ReleaseNotes/2015/4_7/index.html

> >

>

> Paper 2D is still experimental. Some stuff are really a pain in the ass compared to importing options in C2 for instance.

>

Yes it's experimental, but it's made by epic. They have vast resources. At the same time it has visual scripting( much like the material editor in UDK) and there will be more and more templates added. Add in it costs 0 dollars to start a commercial game, and it has to be considered, or at least something to keep an eye on.

Sure. But I will personally do things quicker in Construct. And Construct does not take any shares after the business edition.

The real question is more: What do you need UE4 for. The fact that UE4 can do 2D games doesn't mean it will be very good at it. Every time i run UE4 my graphic card is turning in "This is Sparta." The real plus of UE4 remains in its 3D materials. It can really shine if you mix 2D and 3D together like did Ori with Unity.

https://youtu.be/Yjc-u8oCYmY

But here is the thing. They spent 4 years developing it with highly qualified professionnals and sponsored by microsoft. So I am asking again, what do you need UE4?

At indie levels what really shines is the speed and workflow ans well as control and performance.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • C2 has limitations with exporting to android, I can't get games that are simple to run over 30fps on a samsung galaxy 4 tab. Even though I'm a C2 fan, limitations of C2 are or will be greater, considering the future of what both will become, unless C3 has something incredible planned I just don't see UE4 being the lesser choice in the near future. Plus there are consoles to consider. Nintendo sure, but currently they are mostly off limit and will probably remain so for some time.

Really though, I'll have to investigate more, not really sure how exporting works for HTML5>Android with UE4, for me that will be a deciding factor.

• It's not really a C2 problem. It is more recurent to Javascript.

What do you use for exporting and building the app MelVin?

Well C2 was developed in .NET so maybe the creators will implement native export feature like Xamarin in C# does..but then again it's not JS anymore.

Otherwise Cocoonjs works good on android

• I've been using XDK to export. I will have to try Cocoonjs, but last time I tried it it was about the same around 25fps.

What exactly do you do when exporting with Cocoonjs? would you mind listing a step by step?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)