UNREAL ENGINE 4

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Make your dream action platformer game effortlessly with this template!
  • well, the actual game editor of the engine is coming to linux as well. I am assuming this has something to do with Valve's influence:

http://games.slashdot.org/story/14/03/1 ... engl-layer

There are a lot of indie developers using linux already

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/u ... ign=buffer

so this is definitely exciting.

Godot engine is currently being picked up by that usergroup as an alternative to Unity.

Leadwerks recently got ported to linux. They managed to get over 40 000 $ in their "lets port leadwerks to linux/ preorder leadwerks license" kickstarter campaign.

• This pricing isn't really accurate, as you can also sign up for Unity's subscription service, which now has no set time limit on how long you have to sign up for. So, you could create your entire project in Unity, for free, and only sign up for the subscription to push it out to platforms outside of OSX/Windows/Linux. I've easily saved thousands of dollars using their subscription service instead of buying each major release outright, as was required previously.

So that means implementing Pro's features last-minute then, huh? Because Pro has some really nice stuff packed in that Free lacks. I guess it's not a big deal if you already know what you're dealing with but of the Indie devs I know, they'd rather outright save up for Pro and not have to worry about the rest.

• > This pricing isn't really accurate, as you can also sign up for Unity's subscription service, which now has no set time limit on how long you have to sign up for. So, you could create your entire project in Unity, for free, and only sign up for the subscription to push it out to platforms outside of OSX/Windows/Linux. I've easily saved thousands of dollars using their subscription service instead of buying each major release outright, as was required previously.

>

So that means implementing Pro's features last-minute then, huh? Because Pro has some really nice stuff packed in that Free lacks. I guess it's not a big deal if you already know what you're dealing with but of the Indie devs I know, they'd rather outright save up for Pro and not have to worry about the rest.

You can keep the monthly account for as long as you'd like, and given Unity's recent upgrade cycle length is more bang for your buck than purchasing outright.

As for missing Pro features: other than internet multiplayer/networking they're almost entirely graphical, so even if that means you're paying $75/mo for, say, 3-6mo to add those graphical features you're still saving a ton of cash to put towards another part of the development process - mobile licenses, for example. I can't really comment on how long it would take to add the networking stuff in, and I can't say I've seen a ton of Unity (or Unreal tech in terms of indie dev) that really use it anyway.

I've been using Unity since the first versions on Windows (2.x somethingorother) and their current monthly pricing plan is by far the best deal I've seen in terms of providing access to powerful game (and other) development tools at a more indie-friendly cost. And what with the company's general responsiveness to their community - far more than Epic/Unreal's actual day-to-day engagement - if someone were looking to make a 3D game, Unity would be my first recommendation.

For 2D, I'll still push C2 over Unity2D any day. With Scirra's very supportive, mostly friendly and knowledgeable community it's a total no-brainer, not to mention the awesome and personal support their team provides.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This pricing isn't really accurate, as you can also sign up for Unity's subscription service, which now has no set time limit on how long you have to sign up for. So, you could create your entire project in Unity, for free, and only sign up for the subscription to push it out to platforms outside of OSX/Windows/Linux. I've easily saved thousands of dollars using their subscription service instead of buying each major release outright, as was required previously.

could you point out to where you heard/saw this!? if i go right now to the buy tab in the unity site, and choose the subscription, i get this:

"A subscription runs for a minimum of 12 months and is available via the Online Store."

if you choose the TERMS tab:

"The minimum commitment period for a subscription is 12 months. You cannot cancel your subscription before its expiry date."

• fremachuca I'd like to know as well. Now I'm curious as to if digitalsoapbox did this before they must have updated their terms. Now we know it's not an option, at least!

• fremachuca

DatapawWolf

I'm looking on their site now and it looks like that per-month subscription service was time-limited, because I don't see it as an option any more either. I'd be surprised if they didn't bring it back, though - they said the same thing about any type of subscription service when the monthly payments were first announced and now that's what they're pushing.

Maybe the terms have changed since the subscription now includes free upgrades to Unity 5 when it's released? I'll email my support contact and let you guys know what I find out. Even w/ a 12 month subscription it's still a great deal, what with the free upgrades and being around $700 less than an outright purchase of Unity 4.x (which I don't think includes the free upgrade to 5, but I could be wrong). I know that right now my year subscription to their initial 12 month subscription offer is going month-to-month as it's been more than a year and they haven't asked me to commit to any specific length of time since its expiration months ago.

• digitalsoapbox that's quite interesting. I think quick publishing was probably one of the reasons they discontinued the pay-per-month service.

I will wait and watch to see if they bring back their per-month, because I am certainly interested.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)