Resolution vs number of users

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Jump on numbers in the proper order and reach the sun!
  • large resolutions always lag on my comp, 640x480 is the best imo since no ones gonna be hindered from playing the game. SD tvs are 640x480 and games look just fine on those.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • lol "big resos" meh I have 1280X1024 and every game runs ok on it

• I play everything in 1920x1200 with everything on ultra maximum... 640x480 was so voodoo 1 days... what was that? 13-14 years ago?

Get with the times! 1024x768 in my opinion is the current day standard minimum. Depending on the style of game you are making, this resolution may be excessive, but in most cases it's not. In fact, most of the games made by a large number of indie developers are, in my opinion, too low of a resolution. Why reduce something that could look awesome into a garble of barely recognisable pixels... especially this day in age.

If you can't run your game in at least 1024x768 then I'll send you the $15 it would cost to go buy a second hand graphics card capable of doing so.

/rant

~Sol

• ORL demo in 1024x768 was lagging on my laptop ( as i mentioned before, in post somewhere above ). I personly prefare high res gfx, But it will be no good i i want be able to test the game i'm making XD. Best solution would be res selection in options menu. But again i don't know how to make lvl stay untuched and only textures would change.

• Get with the times! 1024x768 in my opinion is the current day standard minimum. Depending on the style of game you are making, this resolution may be excessive, but in most cases it's not. In fact, most of the games made by a large number of indie developers are, in my opinion, too low of a resolution. Why reduce something that could look awesome into a garble of barely recognisable pixels... especially this day in age.

it takes a very very long time to make nice graphics for that res, and making hi res graphics clogs up most low end gfx cards. simple graphics can tell a story just as well as hi res ones, except without needing expensive hardware to be run at a decent framerate.

• I play everything in 1920x1200 with everything on ultra maximum...

yeah, baby

except the newest few games are starting to slow down if I don't turn down my AA to 2 or 4

so it's about time for an upgrade

• > I play everything in 1920x1200 with everything on ultra maximum...

>

yeah, baby

except the newest few games are starting to slow down if I don't turn down my AA to 2 or 4

so it's about time for an upgrade

If you can aford an upgrade, you do it.

• >

> Get with the times! 1024x768 in my opinion is the current day standard minimum. Depending on the style of game you are making, this resolution may be excessive, but in most cases it's not. In fact, most of the games made by a large number of indie developers are, in my opinion, too low of a resolution. Why reduce something that could look awesome into a garble of barely recognisable pixels... especially this day in age.

>

>

it takes a very very long time to make nice graphics for that res, and making hi res graphics clogs up most low end gfx cards. simple graphics can tell a story just as well as hi res ones, except without needing expensive hardware to be run at a decent framerate.

Yeah the main valid point in regards to the deabte, is yes... it DOES take a lot longer to make hi resolution artwork to go with your game. Low-fi graphics are always easier to create... and in some cases the retro style fits the game a lot better than higher res, more modern graphics, while in others it really limits a great idea to being merely an OK idea.

Tonks is being made in 1024x768... I know it's fairly simple in terms of the art library, (IE not hundreds of sprites) but I'm thinking I should have designed it in a higher resolution already.

Anyway, everyone will make the style they are most comfortable with and that is within their abilities as a creator. I just prefer a higher resolution as my personal thing.

~Sol

• The best answer is not one resolution

The best answer is all resolutions

Modern games don't have the option to change quality and resolution for nothing now do they?

So make the graphics on highest quality and then downscale

Though positioning of sprites might be tricky but I think construct is able to make this fine adjustments

The only real problem here would be aspect ratio but that doesn't have any workarounds to begin with and only on games that are non scrolling so you could either cut, make backgrounds with different aspect ratio AND perspective or you could even scroll it

• The best answer is not one resolution

The best answer is all resolutions

Modern games don't have the option to change quality and resolution for nothing now do they?

So make the graphics on highest quality and then downscale

Though positioning of sprites might be tricky but I think construct is able to make this fine adjustments

The only real problem here would be aspect ratio but that doesn't have any workarounds to begin with and only on games that are non scrolling so you could either cut, make backgrounds with different aspect ratio AND perspective or you could even scroll it

10x the work cause your drawing hug graphics, plus a 320x240 game can be eating up 200mb of vram or more.

• 10x the work cause your drawing hug graphics, plus a 320x240 game can be eating up 200mb of vram or more.

Not sure what you mean

But to clarify when I said downscaled I was referring to making multiple texture packages in external image manipulation programs that can be loaded depending on what you chose in the in game option and loaded at runtime

This is mostly for static images that probably can be optimized(split into multiple power of 2 textures)

I'm not fully sure for animation but in the worst case scenario you can do multiple exes with different resolutions

• when i get my project off the ground i'll probably make a resolution changer plugin if it's possible. i'll have a look into the sdk

if anyone has experience with the problem of differing resolutions, what needs to be taken into account? as in zoom, layer scaling, image sizes, behaviors, etc? assuming you want your game to be identically sized, just with higher or lower res,

so i can figure out whether its even plausible

• when i get my project off the ground i'll probably make a resolution changer plugin if it's possible. i'll have a look into the sdk

if anyone has experience with the problem of differing resolutions, what needs to be taken into account? as in zoom, layer scaling, image sizes, behaviors, etc? assuming you want your game to be identically sized, just with higher or lower res,

so i can figure out whether its even plausible

oH YES, THAT WOULD BE AWSOME!

• The runtime already supports changing to any resolution via events, and you can position things for any resolution using DisplayWidth and DisplayHeight expressions. What's wrong with that?

• The runtime already supports changing to any resolution via events, and you can position things for any resolution using DisplayWidth and DisplayHeight expressions. What's wrong with that?

I'm not good with math, that's what's wrong with it. Just joking, but i'm not good with it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)