Performance questions on C3 and my findings

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Hello there. I am not sure is it any new information (probably not), but I tried to make my own research on C3 performance and got mindblowing findings as for me.

So lets start from what am I working on.

Laptop (Asus FX705DT): 17" 1080p 60hz machine with Ryzen 3750H, GTX1650(4GB), 32GB ram, SSD, Win10 last update. I lost a test file, so I will explain. I created simple project which spawns at random position on screen 12size animated sprite with collision mask and size around 300x150 with a sine vertical behavour with huge random fluctuations so all move little bit different, animation looped. It will continue to spawn this sprites until fps goes 59 or less. Construct R339 beta

[It will show 0 fps on screenshots, but it is actually 55-59]

Here web gpu disabled (as I understand only for preview)

As you can see - avarage result for my machine is 5245 objects (Take with grain of salt, testing environment far from perfect):

I was playing with all settings and ideas, but impact was always minimal. Even increasing quantity of collision points dont do too much impact on performance.

Changing webGPU setting do 0 impact.

Switching off Worker had around 5% impact negative:

Composing Mode switched to desynchronised - made things worse by around 2.5%

Intrestingly downscaling quality lowered to "Low" or "High" made things much worse:

Gpu mode do not do much impact for some reason.

Switching 3D mode manually eats up around 50% of FPS even if you have no 3D elements:

For some reason switching off Anisotropic reduced my FPS (Retested few times and results confirmed):

Reducing Spritesheet Size to 512 did huge negative impact (increasing to 4096 give small 1% boost) :

Switching Sampling from Trilinear to Nearest had drastic negative impact:

Changing pixel rounding to "ON" almost had no impact.

So. Here something interesting starts. First I reduced sprite size in internal image editor 1.5x times, but increase scale a bit to make them feel like old size. No impact on performance.

Than I increased scale of objects without and with change of original sprite size and got same results like spritesize does not matter too much, but scale matter(or rendered size on canvas):

Crop invisible did some performance increase:

So I decided to use small texture, and switch off all pretty settings, and got my worst results:

And same texture, but object scaled down:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • So in conclusion it all feels weird for me, but greatest impact on performance is a scale or size of rendered object and I do not like it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)