A funny thing happened...

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Cartoon Funny Item Interface Sound Pack comes with 426 high-quality sound effects
  • I've been doing gamedev since 2008, same as about how long Construct has been around coincidentally. During that time I mostly did hobby type dev, and dipped in and out of doing it professionally. It was fun, and still is, however the game development part is just not sustainable, for me at least, anymore. I still long for the experimentation with game mechanics, effects, and sounds, but full on game making is just not for me now.

They say that immersion can change your view, and that is part of, I just don't enjoy playing games like I used to, and the industry itself is just well, problematic.

So I let my subscription expire, and have decided to stick to the hobby stuff from now on. Actually at this point I'm more interested in making tutorials, as I've found that my brief hiatus has reminded me that my memory sucks, and I would like to get a lot of the tips and tricks documented in some form.

I've found that I do like making videos, and am experimenting with that format, in both long and short... mostly short.

Oddly enough it looks like Animate might be better for doing that, so don't be surprised if the tuts are in it. We'll see I'm mulling over getting it as a sub.

I'll have to figure out how to make that worth it, so also don't be surprised if I start asking for YT subs.

• I've been trying to make a game for over 20 years now. Cant believe i've been so long at this.

I started with Darkbasic (classic now), then an early game maker, i think version 3 or 4 by mark overmans, then i found clickteam and stayed there for a few years before construct classic was announced and i've been here ever since.

I definitely don't have the motivation i once had. Its sad cause at the start i lacked patience and understanding but had plenty of drive, now i have a lot of the understanding ( i often do eventing in my head, or a text editor, and putting them into c3 editor usually works right without much change), but lack the drive.

I think one of the reasons ironically is the bar to entry is so low now. Any game you think of, no matter how unique, you look and its already been made, on sale on steam and done better than you ever could. Ai is another reason i guess. Also i have this terrible thing where as soon as i know i can do something i lose interest in doing it.

I found that when i do get fed up and stop for a week or two my brain suffers. I guess theres nothing quite like the mental exercise you get from trying to solve complex problems of your own creating.

• Yeah, as soon as we got 3d, well when it got mostly ironed out, it hit me I can do the game I always thought about, then I got sucker punched when I started think about all the work it would require. I just don't have that in me, for a payoff that just doesn't exist anymore.

• It's really hard to stay motivated on your own in my opinion. It comes and goes in waves. If I could go back I would put more effort into finding a dedicated small team to grow with. Still, I made the decision years ago to make games or die trying so on I go.

There is no age limit to success. Years of experience is not wasted because you haven't got the result yet! Don't give up if it's what you love! Let the frustration fuel you!

Feel free to contact me if you have the time and would like to be a part of something. All the best though regardless!

• Thanks GenkiGenga

My plan right now is to focus on the social media aspect of Animate.

Not the marketing of influencers so much as exploring the niche of creating content.

So more motion and graphical design, and only slightly gamdev related.

I'll be doing stuff for beginners in the content creators realm with tuts and templates, then move to more advanced.

• Thanks GenkiGenga

My plan right now is to focus on the social media aspect of Animate.

Not the marketing of influencers so much as exploring the niche of creating content.

So more motion and graphical design, and only slightly gamdev related.

I'll be doing stuff for beginners in the content creators realm with tuts and templates, then move to more advanced.

I was producing tutorials for 3 years, vide editing, sound, script, directing etc for a company that is in competition with construct to some extend, and doing videos for several other big companies. If you need help with getting your idea off the ground, drop me a line on discord - Mikolaj.

As for motivation, listen up dudes, it's important:

started using construct in late 2007, and registered on forums in 2008. Before that I used games factory and click and play a bit, as well as rpg makers. Never done anything more then a prototypes of ideas. But roughly in 2009 I started working freelance , and started learning how to get things done by myself. Did a lot of projects for many clients across the years, every now and then coming back to construct to try something out. Those years of prototyping in construct thought me a everything about where are its strengths. Now I'm doing a game that is going to be completed. Here's the trick : have an idea - > write it down -> split it roughly in to stages of development - > work on it as often as you want too and don't worry how long it takes. If you can do a little bit each day, that's good enough. Keep code simple, static, linear, don't use functions, avoid behaviours. Don't try to go beyond what construct is capable off, don't complicate the code and don't get exited, instead give yourself little targets each day. If you can't figure something out for a while, again, just plan it out on paper. But start with most difficult part of your game too. Once it is done you will feel like everything else is just a formality.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well I am going to keep it real simple. The target audience may not have much experience, which is why apps like Canva, and Adobe Express are somewhat popular for this kind of thing. They are also basically a collection of cookie cutters.

You can get pretty close to what the full on motion graphics editors do with Animate, but with a lower price and learning curve.

Basically I'm just doing tips and tricks for now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)