Some 3D game creators

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Run and Jump in 3 Dimensions! Take your platformer to the next level!
  • Why work with something that most indies cannot afford even if they make something good? Also, even great indie games often don't make much (if any) money. I don't know what you mean about getting the full package.

Also, there's not much extra that comes with Unity Pro. Mostly it's just for companies that can afford to pay for their license whereas indies cannot. Trust me, there's not a big difference.

You can't afford $99 once you finish you game to sell? *blink*

Bottom line is the full page of UDK is free ($99 if you want to sell) full package of Unity is $$$

• UDK is not for everyone, surely not for guys like me running a Pentium D , 2GB ram and a ATI Xpress200 graphics card

you forgot to mention these-

blender- it has a built in game engine and it's pretty easy to use

crystal space - it was used to create the game "Yo Frankie!" (not for beginners)

can somebody mention the limitations of Unity free version?

Blender modelling program is a pain in the butt to use, I tried to use it as a modeling program and I understood nothing, I prefer Milkshape 3D over it anytime, Blender is good for being free but it's far too hard to use, is gmax just as hard?

• Blender modelling program is a pain in the butt to use, I tried to use it as a modeling program and I understood nothing, I prefer Milkshape 3D over it anytime, Blender is good for being free but it's far too hard to use, is gmax just as hard?

You know LavaWave I thought that too for the longest time. I was using big boy 3d apps at work and when I tried Blender I HATED IT! Very confusing, hard to work with, etc.

Then I gave it shot about 8 years also to take a look at the scripting and totally revered my opinion. Once you start to think like blender it all makes sense and is actually much easier than I thought.

It will never be as easy to use as Milkshape. I have used Milkshape and fond it quite easy to leanamd fun to use. You can do some amazing things in Milkshape. But as I recall Milkshape is not as powerful as Blender and hence the steeper learning curve. Milkshape is easier to use than lightwave, Maya, and 3ds MAx too, so no surprise that Blender is harder.

Though I view 3d tools like a golf bag use what you need for the application. Though it is better to me a master of one then a novice at them all.

BTW I would live to see you Milkshape stuff, I am a big fan of 3d modeling

*note* You do not want to use gmax for anything. This can be old information (so it can be wrong) but when gmax came out it was HIGHLY prioritized file structure. Made for you to try 3ds max with out being able to save in usable file.

But to answer you question. I used 3ds mad for about 7 years at work and it is REALLY showing it's age. MUCH harder than Milkshape 3D. and lots of little quarky roll out to use. I like Maya and Cinama 4d MUCH better than 3ds max, Maybe even Milkshape more too.

A nice thing about 3ds max is many older programs have plugins that support 3dsMAX. I am forced to till use it with another program I have.

• >

> Why work with something that most indies cannot afford even if they make something good? Also, even great indie games often don't make much (if any) money. I don't know what you mean about getting the full package.

>

> Also, there's not much extra that comes with Unity Pro. Mostly it's just for companies that can afford to pay for their license whereas indies cannot. Trust me, there's not a big difference.

>

You can't afford $99 once you finish you game to sell? *blink*

Bottom line is the full page of UDK is free ($99 if you want to sell) full package of Unity is $$$

Why did you write $2,500 then? What was that price for? That caused the misunderstanding.

It's a little misleading to act like the normal version of Unity isn't a complete package. Have you ever used Unity3D? It sounds like you don't really know/understand the differences between Unity and UnityPro.

• NO Mr Wolf you responded before you really read what I posted. LOL Go back and reread again I even gave you the link.

I posed $99 Royalty bearing and later explained that all games for sale you then pay only $99. "In other words if you made a game to sell it is only $99" How much more clear do you want it?

The $2,500 Per seat is for a corporation that uses the program in hose for sales demos and not for distributed to a third party.

BTW can you post of of your unity games? I would like to see them.

• Guyon I am not a 3D modeler or anything, I used milkshape to create rather crappy model's that looked like Rayman on steroid's for a moddable game, they were crap compared to real model's so I can say I used milkshape for hobby and to create some lame models thats all, it worked fine in animating and everything I have to say so but the model looked crap, it's probably me because I am no expert modeler just a hobbyist.

• Guyon I am not a 3D modeler or anything, I used milkshape to create rather crappy model's that looked like Rayman on steroid's for a moddable game, they were crap compared to real model's so I can say I used milkshape for hobby and to create some lame models thats all, it worked fine in animating and everything I have to say so but the model looked crap, it's probably me because I am no expert modeler just a hobbyist.

no prob LavaWave, I am a 3d modeling freak. I used to do it for a living and love to see anyones work. But it sounds like Milkshap is perfect for you.

I have seen some amazing things done with it Milkshape and not putting it down at all. After all it is the Artist not the tool that makes great work.

Have a great day!

• NO Mr Wolf you responded before you really read what I posted. LOL Go back and reread again I even gave you the link.

I posed $99 Royalty bearing and later explained that all games for sale you then pay only $99. "In other words if you made a game to sell it is only $99" How much more clear do you want it?

The $2,500 Per seat is for a corporation that uses the program in hose for sales demos and not for distributed to a third party.

BTW can you post of of your unity games? I would like to see them.

For the most part, UnityPro is the equivalent of a corporate license for companies making over $100,000. That's it's main difference. I read what you said, but I wasn't sure what Per Seat meant.

In that same post, you then said "But you you do make something amazing then the $2,500 will be a drop in the bucket compare to the profits."

That sure made is sound like you have to pay $2,500 for commercial licensing. Please don't be unclear then then act like it was my fault.

No need to discuss this further.

• Wolf

If you would have read my post and followed the link you would not have been confused.

end of line....

• Wolf

If you would have read my post and followed the link you would not have been confused.

end of line....

I read the entire post. If you read my post (which you probably did) or your own (which you probably did), you should know that you made it sound like it cost $2,500 for the license. Really, you said something unclear. No need to jump on me about it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hmm, here are the facts that get totally ignored about UDK and Unity.

When you download the free UDK you get:

• UDK (there is only one version, everything is in it, do what you like with it)

When you download the free Unity you get:

• No Render-To-Texture effects (for example there is only one standardized water shader, the full tweakable [realtime reflections, etc.] water shader comes only with Unity Pro)
    • No fullscreen post-processing effects (so no Blur, Color Correction, Contrast, Glow, Motion Blur, Sepia, Twirl, etc., they ship with Unity Pro)
    • No realtime shadows (!!!)
    • No video playback and streaming (!!!)
    • A Unity Splashscreen / Watermark in your work

(The list is incomplete, as the other points are not of interest to most indies)

One should mention this...

• I should note that:

1) A lot of major commercial games tell which engines/technology they're using when they start

2) Realtime shadows is not a good idea in general anyway. It's better to bake lighting in almost every (if not every) case. (heard this from someone who works with 3D stuff and would know)

3) Some of those things won't matter at all depending on the game being made.

Yeah, UDK is a lot better engine from the technical side, but it is harder. We're not comparing programs with identical uses. UDK smokes Unity for how great the engine itself is. Unity3D is a lot easier, especially for indies (who are probably working alone). If UDK works for you and you don't mind not having the easier tools of Unity, use UDK. Really though, with anything big like programming, modelling, and doing all the other work for a 3D game, know what you're getting into and make sure you choose the right tool for you! There's nothing quite like putting a lot of time into something then not getting it finished...

Everyone who wants to know what each difference between Unity versions should read this: http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses.html

I've noticed things have gotten pushed more towards "heavy-duty" programming and most people aren't going to get anything made with either of these engines (even as relatively "easy" Unity is). Are there any 3D programs made for a similar level to GM, Construct, etc? I think those should be listed too as more people will find them usable.

Note: I'm not a Unity lover if I'm coming off like that. I just want people to be educated. Besides, we need someone on each side of the discussion, right? That way more information gets out.

• unity3D might be a little easier than UDK (and you can play the games in a webbrowser )

but the UDK is not as hard as you might think

I started using the UDK about a week ago and i already learnt a lot

and here is my teacher

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/15926/U ... orial+Pack

in this huge download you will get 171 video tutorials learning you the basics of the UDK

from the interface, level design, cinematics and more

to a complete 3D top-down game

its a little more than 21 hours of video and its really easy to follow

it might sound like a lot but you are learning a engine so you must invest some time in it

• XNA Games Studio is pretty good.still uses c# though but it's easier than c++.And i can create games for my beloved xbox360 , RIP 360 .Yes i got the dreaded RROD.If i win the lotto i will buy a xbox360 and ps3 developers kit.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)