What is your favorite shmup and why?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
a full game example, menu system, with the first level and a boss, to create a horizontal shooter
  • Cryptwalker

I think I played that game a LONG LONG time ago at a friend's house on his dreamcast. Seems like there were a dozen or so really great arcade shmups that were only ported to the Dreamcast. Wish they'd re-release some of them on Steam or even XBLA.

• Cryptwalker

I think I played that game a LONG LONG time ago at a friend's house on his dreamcast. Seems like there were a dozen or so really great arcade shmups that were only ported to the Dreamcast. Wish they'd re-release some of them on Steam or even XBLA.

Yep, the Dreamcast had some great shmups. As far as I know, i think only Ikaruga was ported to Steam and XBLA. Another good one was Radiant Silvergun which is also on XBLA. The Raiden series was ported to Desura as well as mobile devices also.

You can still play most of these on MAME also which is what i do (having your own arcade cabinet to play it with is nice too).

• One of my all time favourites is xenon 2 megablast on the Amiga

Loved the graphics and spent many hours on it during my teenage years

Also loved Battle Squadron on Amiga which I have been playing again recently on android

• Tyrian 2k and Jets'n'guns, they both have the biggest collection of weapons and upgrades afaik.

Tyrian 2k is free on gog.com.

Both have a similar concept.

You get coins for killing the enemy, which you can spend on buying weapons/upgrades.

Each weapon can be upgraded 3 times and up (some ten times!). Those are not regular increased fire rate or increased damage. You can fire more rockets/lasers at once. Shoots an additional plasma in a different direction etc.

The beauty is you can undo the upgrade and sell the weapon at anytime for the full price! You won't be bound to one single weapon every level due to this.

Note Jets'n'guns is inspired by Tyrian 2k

• Shmup?

• shoot-em-up: shmup

• Shmup?

shoot'em up type game

• Jets'n'Guns Gold

Just because of the huge variety of weapons, upgrades, ships, enemies, levels and the metal soundtrack

• Parodius

• Nimbus Sky Princess - Free Bytes

this indie game always inspired me

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • When I was younger I used to play this game a lot

It´s free and called D.O.V.E! Mainly liked it cause of the possibility to change the weapon to backshooting

Haha, I did some of the more mediocre pixel art in this game back in the day. Nice to be reminded.

There is a sequel called DoveZ by the way, picked up a retail copy in the discount bin years ago. That one does have a consistent art style and is also worth checking out.

I totally love In The Hunt. IREM just did some amazing lookin games that were just spectacular to play. The switch from space to underwater combat was also a very cool variation.

• I've got a few more examples to play here!

• Has anyone here played Revolver 360 Re:Actor? I found this on Steam a while back. It's cheap and a crap ton of fun. The revolving concept is very interesting.

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • Shmup?

Shoot'em up

• Has anyone here played Revolver 360 Re:Actor? I found this on Steam a while back. It's cheap and a crap ton of fun. The revolving concept is very interesting.

I actually have that game. For some odd reason, i havent played it yet. Now i've got too....looks insane...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)