Graphics on mobile

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Over 1700 16x16 pixel art RPG icons for item and skills
  • So, before I rework my game, I want to get a better grasp on the visual side of things. Now look, I'm one of those "game-play over graphics" people for certain, but sadly, that is not always true with today's market. Browse the appstore for a little and I think it is pretty clearly aesthetically driven. So, what should we aim for when we develop for those platforms? More specifically, how should we do it with construct 2?

Some things to consider are that safari (iphone's browser) does not support point-sampling, I'm not sure if this applies with other exporters but it is crucial to the design.

The window size; I have my game scale to full with a window size of 480,320 the ipod/iphone screen size. But it is displaying a bit more to the right than it should, and we have to consider the larger iphone, and how to scale/ adjust gameplay. Should we have double window size so that it scale's down to the screen in hopes of it looking better? With point-sampling unavailable every sprite must be the exact size you need, and we would be unable to expand it without it becoming blurry.

Style; I think the neat clean format are the most popular, usually with a bright and appealing style. Very casual.

I'm not sure exactly where I was going with this, just looking for experiences and some feedback, and general discussion on the matter.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • make your a game a square that will resize to the larger dimensions. Thanks to Apple and Android's not sharing the ratio it's a bit of a pain.

I did a menu page. It had 5 menu windows(main menu, credits, high score...) worked great on my tablet. Popped it to the IOS and saw that based on reszing the ration was off. I could see parts of the other page.

yeah. assume square of the larger size and position based on that :\ but there is a tutorial that does a better job :D

• Even in respect of the latest generation of smartphones and Ultrabooks Pc etc.

Bring a better graphics option and resolutions to all lovers of the game

• Having appealing graphic is extremely important on mobile games.

My own approach to the display of my android game was simply to do a lot of testing -- trial-and-error -- and to try and make it good at least on the devices I was testing with.

This is maybe off-topic, but the game icon is also incredibly important, as are all of the related game promotion graphics.

I personally think it's worth spending a lot of time getting the icon and the associated game graphics looking as slick as you possibly can.

• Having appealing graphic is extremely important on mobile games.

My own approach to the display of my android game was simply to do a lot of testing -- trial-and-error -- and to try and make it good at least on the devices I was testing with.

This is maybe off-topic, but the game icon is also incredibly important, as are all of the related game promotion graphics.

I personally think it's worth spending a lot of time getting the icon and the associated game graphics looking as slick as you possibly can.

Absolutely, my problem is menus are easy enough to re-size but the iphone 4 and 5 have different res as 5 is just longer, the issue lies within the game itself...

• I've spent the majority of my professional career creating graphics, both 3d and 2d and figured I'd put my two cents in also.

As time goes on, I have become a big fan of Pixel Art -- It can be simple and clean, and when executed well can look just as intentional and relevant as 3d or vector Art.

Pixel Art was created in part to render on lower resolution platforms during the 8/16 bit era, so it pops nicely on the lower res screens but the whole retro thing makes it look intentional even on higher resolution platforms.

Just one aesthetic to consider.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)