What does excite you about games?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Easily generate many levels from a set of pre-built scenes (Construct 3 template)
  • I think you want to make a game so people were interested in it. So I'm interested in games that included different things and that the game has a purpose. Also I like games that are not really easy, well everyone likes something in their own personal way. And here's a link to a game that I made you might enjoy it as well.

scirra.com/arcade/action-ga ... mbies-8749

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sorry I couldn't post a link but the game is called die zombies

You can find it on this website

• I've never heard of Quake syndrome in my life thus far, so my experience supports this hypothesis.

Hi gumshoe2029,

Thanks for the reply and welcome.

Actually, I could not find any articles that mention the word "Quake Syndrome" when referring to the motion sickness I experience. I heard this term perhaps around 20 years ago and have personally used it since. Now I realize that it might not have been the widely used term to describe motion sickness from First Person Shooters that I thought it did.

My experience with games made by the Japanese is that they tend to avoid quick changing camera angles and leave it more stable and focused when the character moves around. I wonder if Asians experience motion sickness more often than Westerners, so perhaps that may be a reason why there are less games with this issue. I am not Asian but I have spoken to Asian friends who seem to share the same problem.

During Sony's E3 2016 press conference, where they showed "Horizon Zero Dawn", there was a scene were the main character was running into the landscape where I there noticed that the camera angle was kept very still, even if the character moved slightly left and right. It was almost as though they tried to do their best avoiding the induction of motion sickness. In other words, I was positively shocked and pleased.

This article tries to explain the issue with motion sickness and also has a few tips to give. xbox.about.com/od/buyersguide/a/vgmosick.htm

To add, I have also noticed that, now that games have better resolution and framerate, I have been able to play or watch 1st and 3rd person shooters for a longer time than previously.

• Thank you guys for all the great feedback #) I'm working on implementing most of those things into one game

• If you have ever played a game, I believe everyone here did.. What did make you wanna play the game you have seen [what you've seen in screenshots or videos] and what has excited you in that game when you actually played it? [eg. unique level system, potions, fancy swords, atmosphere, HUD etc.]

Make your game have a good protection (from hack) because from my expierence as a gamer also a hacker

when I just hack the game kinda changing money value or else..3 days later I quit...

The Important thing is that the gamer can work harder collecting the money for new UPGRADE and new Level and new PLACE to explore or FOR A HARD STAGE such as big Boss.. That`s my opinion

• This article tries to explain the issue with motion sickness and also has a few tips to give. http://xbox.about.com/od/buyersguide/a/vgmosick.htm

To add, I have also noticed that, now that games have better resolution and framerate, I have been able to play or watch 1st and 3rd person shooters for a longer time than previously.

Good thing our game is slow and doesn't change angles. :-p I will keep this in mind when designing in the future though!

• > If you have ever played a game, I believe everyone here did.. What did make you wanna play the game you have seen [what you've seen in screenshots or videos] and what has excited you in that game when you actually played it? [eg. unique level system, potions, fancy swords, atmosphere, HUD etc.]

>

Make your game have a good protection (from hack) because from my expierence as a gamer also a hacker

when I just hack the game kinda changing money value or else..3 days later I quit...

The Important thing is that the gamer can work harder collecting the money for new UPGRADE and new Level and new PLACE to explore or FOR A HARD STAGE such as big Boss.. That`s my opinion

Feel you man I'll try figuring something out though

• I'd have to say that the aesthetics of the game are the first thing that catches my eye, so unique or striking or just plain pretty graphics are usually quite useful. After I've seen the aesthetics I will then tend to look at gameplay which doesn't necessarily need to be unique but it does need to look fun or engaging. If both of those things come together nicely then I'm usually happy to play/buy the game.

Hope that helped

• First thing is usually art and aesthetics because a screenshot (or packaging) is usually the first thing you see. "Graphics" aren't a huge deal to me but if it looks like they didn't put a lot of effort into the art then they probably didn't put a lot of effort into the entire game.

Next is a hook, either some kind of story or unique feature of the game. Something that when you hear/read you think 'hmm, that seems unique. I want to hear more'. This could be in the text description of the game or a video. I don't want to play a game that is a copy of others with nothing original. (unless it is a copy of a favorite game, I guess)

What really gets me hooked on games though is making me think, to put it simply. Someone mentioned Zelda games earlier, they are great with puzzles, strategy battle games such as Xcom and Final Fantasy Tactics, even first person shooters that aren't just run and gun but have stealth, cover, tactical vantage points, etc. Hitman was a favorite of mine due to having to monitor the guards and think what is the best way.

"Progress" is another good point. Leveling up in RPGs, getting better weapons in FPS, more money and bigger towns in games like SimCity type, Clash of Clans, etc. People feel good when they can see progress but I don't think it keeps people there if it gets repetitive.

Another important part is that it is challenging but fair. If it is too easy it gets dull from, well, basically not having to think. But it is frustrating if a game is 'unfair' such as you die or lose from no fault of your own, as in there was nothing you could do to stop it.

Hope this helps. As I'm becoming more comfortable with Construct I've been thinking more about what makes a game fun so I don't just make a game, but a fun game!

• The Boss fights are what I like the most. Every game needs a good villan and it must be fun to fight. Also If it looks cool gameplay wise like something creative and something I have never seen before. If it looks cool it excites me as well

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)