Would you buy a Pinball Sandbox Construction Kit for $5?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A set of vector game assets contains ground tiles and several objects, used for creating platformer games
  • UPDATE: I added a new layout and components and new leaderboards. More layouts coming soon.

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial-games/pinball-physics-sandbox-demo-13984

New Layout:

• lamar

good luck with the editor improvements.

Burvey is correct that a drag and drop type editor scheme would greatly benefit your project. i do not know how difficult it would be from the layout perspective.

once you have dealt with the technical problems and can show some better asset art, i think people will really see how cool this can be. especially when really talented artist/designers get a hold of it.

• Updated Pinball Sandbox with Simpson's Theme Fan Game:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial-games/pinball-sandbox-demo-13984

I also tweaked the flipper and ball for better finite control and added some grit to the ball so you can aim it very accurately. You can really control the ball about as well as in real pinball now with a little practice.

The game scoring and missions are still in development but you can see where I am headed.

I am working on the editor and also a mobile version and flat screen editor version for people that want to design their own games.

I have a website set up now so I can start promoting the game and sandbox editor when it is finished:

http://pinball-sandbox.comli.com/

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I wouldn't focus in good Graphics! Keep making good usability and make it functional and easy to use. That's all.

I wouldn't buy it for the graphics, i would make my own graphics anyway.

I think your price is really cheap if functionality is running smooth, but it makes you sell more so could be a better strategy.

good luck

• I wouldn't focus in good Graphics! Keep making good usability and make it functional and easy to use. That's all.

I wouldn't buy it for the graphics, i would make my own graphics anyway.

I think your price is really cheap if functionality is running smooth, but it makes you sell more so could be a better strategy.

good luck

Thanks for the feedback HugosRibas!

I am thinking of making a template available and let people design their own components. I will provide the basics with a few choices for flippers, balls, bells and bumpers and people can use sketchup or some other 3D design program to make their own components to add and give it their personal touch.

Kind of like Visual Pinball but much faster and easier to design a layout and start playing.

• I am an avid pinball player, real and virtual I play Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX2 tables, and have been playing computer pinball games since the Commodore 64 (Pinball construction set). To me the 'feel' and control of the ball are the most important parts to get right. It does not need to be realistic to be good - for example, I love Devil's Crush, for example, which is not very realistic at all, but still has an excellent feel and level of playability.

I think you are getting somewhat close to a good feel - around 75% there, in my opinion. Still missing is the level of control I would like to see.

Other comments:

• the tables are not that interesting to play yet.
    • the ball snaps unrealistically to drop targets.
    • I'd like to see lights indicating goals, achievements, etcetera - just like real machines.
    • on several occasions balls just went straight through the (left) flipper.
    • I think the collision for the tip of the flippers can be extended a bit.
    • I'd like to see an option to play in 2d - I rotate one of my 27" screens in order to be able to play in portrait mode. Ideal for pinball gaming.
    • perhaps consider a scrolling viewpoint similar to the old Pinball Dreams game on the Amiga?
    • I caught the ball with the left flipper, waited for it to settle, and when I dropped the flipper the ball was stuck.
    • the ball does not roll very convincingly yet.
    • real and virtual tables have many more interesting parts - tunnels, etc. I would also like to see more than one level with ramps and such.

All in all, a good start - perhaps consider creating a pinball game similar to Devil's Crush - I would love to see something similar. Your pinball engine seems more suitable for that type of pinball game.

• I am an avid pinball player, real and virtual I play Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX2 tables, and have been playing computer pinball games since the Commodore 64 (Pinball construction set). To me the 'feel' and control of the ball are the most important parts to get right. It does not need to be realistic to be good - for example, I love Devil's Crush, for example, which is not very realistic at all, but still has an excellent feel and level of playability.

I think you are getting somewhat close to a good feel - around 75% there, in my opinion. Still missing is the level of control I would like to see.

Other comments:

- the tables are not that interesting to play yet.

- the ball snaps unrealistically to drop targets.

- I'd like to see lights indicating goals, achievements, etcetera - just like real machines.

- on several occasions balls just went straight through the (left) flipper.

- I think the collision for the tip of the flippers can be extended a bit.

- I'd like to see an option to play in 2d - I rotate one of my 27" screens in order to be able to play in portrait mode. Ideal for pinball gaming.

- perhaps consider a scrolling viewpoint similar to the old Pinball Dreams game on the Amiga?

- I caught the ball with the left flipper, waited for it to settle, and when I dropped the flipper the ball was stuck.

- the ball does not roll very convincingly yet.

- real and virtual tables have many more interesting parts - tunnels, etc. I would also like to see more than one level with ramps and such.

All in all, a good start - perhaps consider creating a pinball game similar to Devil's Crush - I would love to see something similar. Your pinball engine seems more suitable for that type of pinball game.

Thanks for the feedback. These are still a work in progress.

I have a 2D version:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/strategy-games/magnetron-heavy-metal-pinball-15253

• I actually prefer the 2d version a lot - it feels nicer to play. The 2d perspective you use with the other three tables looks a bit forced/unnatural.

Some comments:

• again the ball sometimes runs straight through a flipper
    • the interaction between balls feels off - too rubbery, and they lack a solid feel. At one point I had two balls caught with the right flipper, and the third ball hit the other two coming down. Result: the balls sort-of exploded, with one ball jumping up.

Have you considered taking this further to create a more digital "Devil's Crush" type like Pinball game?

• I actually prefer the 2d version a lot - it feels nicer to play. The 2d perspective you use with the other three tables looks a bit forced/unnatural.

Some comments:

- again the ball sometimes runs straight through a flipper

- the interaction between balls feels off - too rubbery, and they lack a solid feel. At one point I had two balls caught with the right flipper, and the third ball hit the other two coming down. Result: the balls sort-of exploded, with one ball jumping up.

Have you considered taking this further to create a more digital "Devil's Crush" type like Pinball game?

There are some issues with C2 physics I have not yet resolved. Flippers do have some spring to them in real pinball and balls would bounce off each other in real pinball so that is accurate I think.

I have not got far enough to create any real themes yet for these. Mostly working on mechanics and components. That is what I am hoping you creative people will do when I have a template finished.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)