Thanks for all the interest, and I’m glad it’s been useful. I ended up having to sideline further development for a bit. Life and stuff. Hope to get back to this eventually. Hopefully sooner than later.
As to the requests:
- Changing the texture filtering should be doable.
- utilizing a sprites texture should be doable as well. Just have to take into account sprite sheeting.
- I don’t have any immediate plans to allow adding/removing/modifying triangles from a mesh. Adding/modifying is a maybe. As is, I’d go with redoing the mesh from scratch per frame. I’m shooting with simple, easy to use and flexible. But I may change my mind after playing around with it.
- I kind of like how the triangles are two sided, I can see how having single sided stuff allows for a texture on each side would be useful. May test later.
- It would be nice to have some kind of animation like mesh deforms and skeleton skinning, but that would be a later feature as I’m not familiar with much of the various aspects of it. Currently, you can do stop motion style stuff with multiple object files. You’re only limited by memory there. Most any file format should be readable with varying degrees of difficulty. It’s the handling of that data that’s the most time consuming I think.
- I have some ideas for collision detection and response. Ray casts would be nice too, but we’ll see how things go.
My current tentative overall design would be:
- Use tags for meshes, textures, and objects.
- objects would be instead of the draw matrix. Instead you could specify as many objects as you liked. Each would have their own position, size, orientation and color. The you could change the mesh, and texture on the fly. While at it I’d like to make parenting too.
The camera would treated as one of these objects so that would remove some redundancy.
3D math within the event system gets busy looking fast so I’d like to add some more transformation features to simplify that. For example, rotate around an arbitrary axis, or moving at a 3D direction. We’ll see though.
- rendering at least shadows from one light source would be cool too. It’s the type of thing that may be trickier than it seems. But as with everything else we shall see.
Anyways. That’s the rough plan more or less.