Q3D V-2.4 [3D Physics + Skeletal Animation UPDATE]

3 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • > > looking sharp. it's using the q3d physics yah?

>

> Actually, No.

> I found it a bit too unreliable so I'm using the good old C2 Solid behavior.

> The cars' physics are actually just 2 2D images.

> I'm trying a fake 2D jump & falling behavior as well which is the hardest part, I'd like the cars to jump & Fall. But i won't really need the behavior.

heh me too :P my shooter uses the default C2 physics as well.

Haha yeah, as long as you don't jump, it's pretty straight-forward, Unlike most of Q3D :')

New Gif showing 2D Physics, 2 Cars, 8 Wheels:

imgur.com/eUgB7oT

• > If you use the Q3DOimoPhysics behavior you will have gravity force on the Z axis.

But for multiple cars, 4 wheels per car, I can't rely on that many wheels (Plus Car Body's) to do the Physics calculations.

It costs too much and the physics acted too unreliable.

Weird. We did up to 8 cars with four cylinders each for the wheels and it was pretty smooth for the original “Robot Rumble”. IIRC it ran fine on a 2017-era phone.

You could also create a simple Unity-style wheel collider with 4 raycasts downward. You can tune the raycast to take as much CPU time as you can spare.

• > > If you use the Q3DOimoPhysics behavior you will have gravity force on the Z axis.

> But for multiple cars, 4 wheels per car, I can't rely on that many wheels (Plus Car Body's) to do the Physics calculations.

> It costs too much and the physics acted too unreliable.

Weird. We did up to 8 cars with four cylinders each for the wheels and it was pretty smooth for the original “Robot Rumble”. IIRC it ran fine on a 2017-era phone.

You could also create a simple Unity-style wheel collider with 4 raycasts downward. You can tune the raycast to take as much CPU time as you can spare.

hmm ok, I tried looking for video's but couldn't find any, Do you have a source?

And with unreliable i meant that as soon as the cars landed after a jump, it would bounce out of the floor depending on how it landed. (The cars rotate slightly when jumping depending on key presses, like how in GTAV you can control the car mid-air)

Sometimes it bounced ok, when it lands on all 4 wheels at once. other times it would just flip the car or bounce 10m in the air. this is the unreliable part.

And the Q3D tutorial with the small square car had the wheels wobbly, especially when turning at high speed.

But yeah as i said in another post, i don't really need the jumping behavior which is why i settled on the 2D physics, But it would be a nice feature to play with. Raycast you said? could you share some more details? :D

• The first Robot Rumble was released for AirConsole in February 2017. It is available to play at the following URL. You will need a computer to host the game and a mobile device to use as a game controller:

https://www.construct.net/out?u=https%3a%2f%2fwww.airconsole.com%2f%23!play%3dcom.nerdislandstudios.robotrumble

It supported up to eight player multiplayer.

The Unity WheelCollider is a RigidBody with four downward-facing raycasts. If the ground is in range it applies custom forces to the RigidBody depending on which “wheels” are “touching”, the friction coefficient, the normal force, and the friction force. All of this would need to be recreated by you.

A simpler version of this would be a hovercar that is always perfectly level and only uses a single raycast to get distance to the ground.

• work on my project is getting there. I got most of the gameplay stuff done.

I finished the weapon stats. such as bloom, reloading, firing rate. and what not. the host will be able to tweak these things. that way they can make the game more strategic or chaotic.

next is some sound settings. the bullet now has 2 sounds. one for fired up close and one for fired far away. the game will mix the two depending on how far away the player is when the sound is fired.

as far as game things go it's programmed. just need to start making the finalized art assets and work on the UI/presentation.

youtube.com/watch

• The first Robot Rumble was released for AirConsole in February 2017. It is available to play at the following URL. You will need a computer to host the game and a mobile device to use as a game controller:

https://www.construct.net/out?u=https%3a%2f%2fwww.airconsole.com%2f%23!play%3dcom.nerdislandstudios.robotrumble

It supported up to eight player multiplayer.

The Unity WheelCollider is a RigidBody with four downward-facing raycasts. If the ground is in range it applies custom forces to the RigidBody depending on which “wheels” are “touching”, the friction coefficient, the normal force, and the friction force. All of this would need to be recreated by you.

A simpler version of this would be a hovercar that is always perfectly level and only uses a single raycast to get distance to the ground.

Ohh i understand now.

I'm practically doing the hovercar now, But without Q3D physics, just a hard snap to imagepoints (i find them very nice to work with and very reliable regardless of layer/layout scale etc) the game is fully dynamic in it's resolution so it helped quite a bit.

I'll try the raycast for a fake physic system, Didn't play with them yet but using them for the Z gravity sounds promising!

Btw. Chris' wheels 0:13 youtu.be/bry1hOjbb3E

is exactly the problem i meant, the wheels act wobbly (Friction on floor cause them to rotate sideways) with the Q3D "Physics point" connection to the car body,

And well, in my case it's physics also acted weird when the car rotates in the air and lands on random wheels.

That's why i went for the 2D approach :)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Oh my gosh! I totally forgot we made that video! What a find! 😂

• > > > looking sharp. it's using the q3d physics yah?

> >

> > Actually, No.

> > I found it a bit too unreliable so I'm using the good old C2 Solid behavior.

> > The cars' physics are actually just 2 2D images.

> > I'm trying a fake 2D jump & falling behavior as well which is the hardest part, I'd like the cars to jump & Fall. But i won't really need the behavior.

>

> heh me too :P my shooter uses the default C2 physics as well.

Haha yeah, as long as you don't jump, it's pretty straight-forward, Unlike most of Q3D :')

New Gif showing 2D Physics, 2 Cars, 8 Wheels:

https://imgur.com/eUgB7oT

Amazing work , i am getting into q3d and also doing a car game , my question is how do you get the camera to turn as you turn the car ??? thanks! and again amazing work !

• > > > > looking sharp. it's using the q3d physics yah?

> > >

> > > Actually, No.

> > > I found it a bit too unreliable so I'm using the good old C2 Solid behavior.

> > > The cars' physics are actually just 2 2D images.

> > > I'm trying a fake 2D jump & falling behavior as well which is the hardest part, I'd like the cars to jump & Fall. But i won't really need the behavior.

> >

> > heh me too :P my shooter uses the default C2 physics as well.

>

> Haha yeah, as long as you don't jump, it's pretty straight-forward, Unlike most of Q3D :')

>

> New Gif showing 2D Physics, 2 Cars, 8 Wheels:

> imgur.com/eUgB7oT

Amazing work , i am getting into q3d and also doing a car game , my question is how do you get the camera to turn as you turn the car ??? thanks! and again amazing work !

Thanks!

I've posted what i use for my camera setup before (previous page?) Edit: page 137 instead.

But basically a few things:

Every tick:

Set camera up vector to (Z) -9999

Set cam position to: Car.x + CamScale * cos(CamRotation)

Car.x + CamScale * sin(CamRotation)

Car.Z + (Height variable)

Set cam look towards: Car.x, Car.y, Car.Z(+Cam pitch)

Replace car.x for a camera object that you can set to the car position every tick

Camscale is a global variable which controls how far you can zoom in and out.

Camrotation is another variable that tells the cam where it is around the car.

Cam pitch variable controls looking up or down.

I hope that answers the question :)

• appreciated , but i was rather interested in how the mentioned variables are manipulated by the user or script when the user steers to his left also the camera steers with it , at the moment the camera is still and does not rotate :( but it does follow well ... all in all thanks a lot the basis of the concept is clear .

• > > > > > looking sharp. it's using the q3d physics yah?

> > > >

> > > > Actually, No.

> > > > I found it a bit too unreliable so I'm using the good old C2 Solid behavior.

> > > > The cars' physics are actually just 2 2D images.

> > > > I'm trying a fake 2D jump & falling behavior as well which is the hardest part, I'd like the cars to jump & Fall. But i won't really need the behavior.

> > >

> > > heh me too :P my shooter uses the default C2 physics as well.

> >

> > Haha yeah, as long as you don't jump, it's pretty straight-forward, Unlike most of Q3D :')

> >

> > New Gif showing 2D Physics, 2 Cars, 8 Wheels:

> > imgur.com/eUgB7oT

>

>

> Amazing work , i am getting into q3d and also doing a car game , my question is how do you get the camera to turn as you turn the car ??? thanks! and again amazing work !

Thanks!

I've posted what i use for my camera setup before (previous page?) Edit: page 137 instead.

But basically a few things:

Every tick:

Set camera up vector to (Z) -9999

Set cam position to: Car.x + CamScale * cos(CamRotation)

Car.x + CamScale * sin(CamRotation)

Car.Z + (Height variable)

Set cam look towards: Car.x, Car.y, Car.Z(+Cam pitch)

Replace car.x for a camera object that you can set to the car position every tick

> Camscale is a global variable which controls how far you can zoom in and out.

> Camrotation is another variable that tells the cam where it is around the car.

> Cam pitch variable controls looking up or down.

I hope that answers the question :)

SO many nice things..but all went above my head...is there any tutorial videos for handling camera in the game that I can learn from? please share..thanks in advance

• I don’t know about video tutorials, but have you tried the written tutorial with pictures I linked back a few pages ago? I tried to keep the descriptions as simple as I could.

• mmm.... So I am having a hard time importing textures for my model

instead of loading the texture as one big texture in the animation file. I want to load textures with a material file (enabled with the "model materials" option under an objects "material properties" section.)

however the textures never load. what formatting is Q3D looking for?

• I have run into an issue with rendering.

My game has split screen support. and I want to be able to render different frames of a sprite object to different view ports. I was hoping if I set the frame skip ratio to 0 and then manually triggered a render for each camera I could achieve this

however this does not happen. instead the frame used in the last camera render of a loop is used on all view ports.

to experiment I set it to only render on a set loop index. and sure enough if I set it to render only the first or the second then the sprite render correctly.

any idea how to fix this?

• mmmm I have been trying to get around this limit but I don't think it's possible. from my experiments I think that Q3D can only render the entire 3D scene once per tick.

I was able to get it "working" by only rendering one viewport per tick. But this has the obvious side affect of dividing the FPS among all windows. so I can do 2 windows at 30fps, 3 at 20, ect. So I am realistically stuck at 2 windows at 30fps.

QuaziGNRLnose I know that this plug in is deprecated. But if I offered to paypal you some cash would it be possible to get an extra action added? I need to be able to render a viewport, change the 3D scene (change the sprites frame), then render another viewport in the same tick?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)