Q3D V-2.4 [3D Physics + Skeletal Animation UPDATE]

From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • From what I've played around with, you can use the physics with Q3D and have cylinders, cubes and spheres.

What you can't do is load in a 3D model and use the shape of the model for collisions.

I can import my 3D track but it only lets me set the shape as a cube (flat)

• In order to get a track working you would pretty much have to build an in-game track editor. Either that or create a script that can transform a track mesh into a bunch of box primitives. It isn’t impossible, but you might have to get a little creative with simplifications.

• wow your right. that's kinda disappointing.

• A script to add shapes would be out of my skillset I think :( Especially as it seems tricky to line things up in Q3D

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • how complex do you need the physics to be?

I know you can use the raycast object to get the angle of a face and it's height. provided you don't need super realistic physics you could make a raycast above the car down to the ground. you could then compare the change of height and add to an upward momentum. and then if it lowers apply a gravity to this same value. and if the car falls below the raycast (below the level)then set the cars height to the level. (this is just the idea of course) It's not the ideal solution. but it's better than nothing.

• how complex do you need the physics to be?

I know you can use the raycast object to get the angle of a face and it's height. provided you don't need super realistic physics you could make a raycast above the car down to the ground. you could then compare the change of height and add to an upward momentum. and then if it lowers apply a gravity to this same value. and if the car falls below the raycast (below the level)then set the cars height to the level. (this is just the idea of course) It's not the ideal solution. but it's better than nothing.

This is a great point! There are a ton of good Unity hovercraft tutorials. Here's one that seems to have all of the key bits in one page:

https://medium.com/thefloatingpoint/ground-hugging-vehicles-in-unity-3d-50115f421005

Your track would be a perfect fit for this kind of driving mechanic. It would be great to have a Construct-based 3D racing game with nice smooth tracks.

• hmmmm I am not sure whats going on here.

So I am playing around with my world and for some reason if the 3d actor goes a certain distance the screen goes black. any idea? it seems to be around a radius at the 0,0 coordinate

youtube.com/watch

UPDATE: hhhhhhhrrrrrrmmmm...... so I loaded the last version of the project and for some reason it works fine. no idea why this is happening all of a sudden. This is so weird as it worked fine one second and then the next it started going black regardless of resets and reverting code.

I guess I don't have a choice but to revert to the old build and use the changes in the latest one as a reference to build back up to the current version. whatever happened must have been something inside the plugin that broke. it's the only thing I can think of.

UPDATE 2: huh so the project file itself must have become corrupted somehow. because I copied the code from the newest build to the second oldest build. and despite the game working exactly the same as it did in the latest build that issue of the screen going black went away. ok then

• is it possible to repeat a texture over an object? I have a cube that I want to turn into ground. because the texture repeats I should not have to make the texture the size of the ground. i looked at the UV repeat function but it does not seem to cause the texture to repeat. just shrink

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • is it possible to repeat a texture over an object? I have a cube that I want to turn into ground. because the texture repeats I should not have to make the texture the size of the ground. i looked at the UV repeat function but it does not seem to cause the texture to repeat. just shrink

To Repeat a Texture:

(Might be a bit hard to see because of the brightness, Plus it's Work in progress) :)

And here's most of my current camera system, Also work in progress But it's working :) Took a bit of time to get it right. Could not find good samples, screenshots or documentation online.. Even the manual that i found is totally incomplete :( So i plan to document some of my findings, Saves the next person a little trouble.

-Camx, Camy, Camz, CamScale, CamRot, CamPitch Are global variables that the player or a script is able to control.

Most importantly Cam Rotation, CamZ for the height, Campitch to look up & Down, And Camscale to zoom in and out. CamX & CamY mess with the cam Location and in turn mess with the cam rotation (Will start going in a egg shape and then go nuts if you crank it)

• Thanks for the tip! it repeats perfectly!

I am going to copy your sample code there as well. I've struggled to get the camera working in my project too.

• wow I owe you cjbruce for telling me about Dot Products. now that I know how to do basic computation of them I have found more uses for it.

My project is a competitive shooter in the style of Midi Maze from way back in the DOS days. I realized though I would need some modern Quality of life things from modern games. such as knowing what direction you are getting shot at.

I use a Dot Product the same way I do to know what direction a sprite should face. but using the bullets position instead of another player. I then turn that into an angle and use that to position a hurt effect on the players screen.

youtube.com/watch

• You are very welcome! Dot Product is super useful in both 2D and 3D games. The Cross Product is also useful if you ever want to incorporate spinning things.

• Just an update on my project.

I finished the player model for my project (finally!). it's not the best out there but for a first attempt at a 3d human model I think it came out good enough.

for now I have rendered the first animation (idle) now I need to animate moving in 4 directions and dying.

youtu.be/lBn9pP10gWY

• Looking great! I feel like it could use a little more silhouette contrast against the dark background.

• yah I can fix the silhouette. good tip.

More progress.

Animations are mostly done. I still need to do the die one. but I am saving that for later when dying is actually programmed in.

I only did two animations for now when it comes to the character. Being run forward and sidestep. I reverse them when the character is going the other way.

Dot product came in helpful again. Each peer keeps track of the last x and y cords of each player. If they match then the system knows they are standing still and plays the idle animation. But if they don't match then it will get the dot product of where they are to where they were. And it can then play the correct direction accordingly.

I also did the first person view of the weapon firing. will make the image bounce as you move but that will happen later.

youtube.com/watch

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 2 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 2 guests)