Dungeon Escape - Online

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Escape the jet fighter and survive as long as you can!
  • > Does this list anyone that's hosting? I don't know if anyone's hosting

>

Right now the server is in a rough state where you have to restart it each time you want a new game. Eventually, I'll set it where it automatically resets once the game ends and also add the option where a client can remotely set the number of players. I'll also add AI players to fill the gaps at some point.

I've uploaded a new version of client and server where you can now specify IP address if you want to use Hamachi (it needs to listen on the Hamachi IP not your default IP address).

http://www.box.net/shared/ypq6pdj0mf

Edit: Decided it was too soon to host a server if it doesn't support restarts and client updates. I'll do this at some point, but I'm going to just start on the tut for know and stop adding features.

In your tutorial will you explain how to show a list of all the servers? Instead of having to manually join already knowing the ip and port

• Hey Scidave!

I'm still messing with UDP socket stuff, yesterday i've done that simple example from mikepan and modifying some stuff, it worked. Seems that setting socket to setblocking(0) pushes socket operation to background thread. I'm trying to see if a external ip connects with properly port forward, i've searching on google about and teorically it works, but i've tested with some friend and nothing. Dunno what is wrong at all, perhaps client port must be forwarded too...

Anyway, I will try to code something based on both libraries (mastermind and podsix), avoinding code that could hijack the mainloop.

Wish me luck! (PS.: i've never used python before, but reading documentation and sample code, it's not complicated as well)

• Wish me luck! (PS.: i've never used python before, but reading documentation and sample code, it's not complicated as well)

Good luck! Python is very intuitive, I find it is a joy to write just about anything in it. Also, there are many examples on the web.

In your tutorial will you explain how to show a list of all the servers? Instead of having to manually join already knowing the ip and port

I hadn't really thought about that. To do something like that all of the clients and servers would have to connect to one (or a cluster of) centralized web server, or something like that so people would know who was hosting. That is probably beyond the scope of this tutorial, but I'll definitely consider it if I do a UDP tutorial in the future.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • New version uploaded. Increased speed of players, and added interpolation to the beast. There is no noticeable lag on the beast even after a 600ms roundtrip latency is added. I think it is safe to say that this takes care of *most* internet latency issues, at least for slower action and RTS games. Unfortunately, I can't interpolate the other player's positions because of the broken Python access to private variables. This will probably be fixed in the next Construct release so it is not that big of a deal.

http://www.box.net/shared/ypq6pdj0mf

Good progress is being made on the tutorial front as well.

p.s. I never got any feedback that people couldn't get this to run (besides Tulamide). My guess is that most people testing already had either Python or Visual Studio installed. If you could not get it to run then try running the VC redistributable installer and that should take care of the problem.

• Hi. I want a .cap file, please.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)