blobber gear demo

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Pixel Sprites ala ReactorCore - Kitchen Gear - Large pack of sprites!
  • I checked that out finally, it's coming along awesome dude. Everything looks so nice and smooth and the new blobbing effects work well.

• I never made the transition from Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, except adding a mouse (which I did later in Duke3D anyway). I've always played with arrows, WASD has always felt wrong to me, and yep, I'm right handed. I've tried to get into WASD a few times, but using the arrows just seems more comfy and logical, i.e Up is Up, rather than W is Up. That'd be like using the gear stick to steer a car instead of the steering wheel. I think it's comfy too, I have my whole arm rested on the desk, it's nice and relaxing while blowing chunks out of things, and it feels different enough to typing to make the game feel more like gaming.

That's just what I think anyway, each to their own, but the choice should always be given. I know there's other keyboard setups people use too, so that's why it's good to have custom controls.

The only problem I find with using arrow keys, is... that's all you CAN use.

With WASD you also can easily press SHIFT with your pinky finger, space bar with your thumb, and buttons like E and Q for things like "use" or "reload" etc... with arrow keys you are pretty screwed when it comes to using any other buttons...

And unless you have to look at the keys when you press them, then just imagine that the W has an up arrow on it... or buy an optimus maximus keyboard so you can make the buttons look like whatever you want instead.

~Sol

• > I never made the transition from Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, except adding a mouse (which I did later in Duke3D anyway). I've always played with arrows, WASD has always felt wrong to me, and yep, I'm right handed. I've tried to get into WASD a few times, but using the arrows just seems more comfy and logical, i.e Up is Up, rather than W is Up. That'd be like using the gear stick to steer a car instead of the steering wheel. I think it's comfy too, I have my whole arm rested on the desk, it's nice and relaxing while blowing chunks out of things, and it feels different enough to typing to make the game feel more like gaming.

>

> That's just what I think anyway, each to their own, but the choice should always be given. I know there's other keyboard setups people use too, so that's why it's good to have custom controls.

>

The only problem I find with using arrow keys, is... that's all you CAN use.

With WASD you also can easily press SHIFT with your pinky finger, space bar with your thumb, and buttons like E and Q for things like "use" or "reload" etc... with arrow keys you are pretty screwed when it comes to using any other buttons...

And unless you have to look at the keys when you press them, then just imagine that the W has an up arrow on it... or buy an optimus maximus keyboard so you can make the buttons look like whatever you want instead.

~Sol

o me, there's too many keys around and no real distinction between WASD and the other around it when you aren't looking at the letters. If you lose your orientation, it's not easy to stick your fingers back down on WASD, well it isn't for someone who isn't used to using WASD.

Plus, there's lots of keys I can use around the arrows, Shift, CTRL, Num Pad, Del, End, Home, Insert, Pg Up, Pg Down, Enter. It all works fine for me, I have my pinky on the CTRL for ducking usually, ring finger on Shift for jumping, and when I need to reload, my index finger jumps across to '0' on the num pad. Plus I got a few buttons on the mouse that can be used. Just feels more comfy for me dude, and works fine.

Each to their own, I feel I'm good enough with the arrows to not need to switch to anything else.

• It's a good practise to get use to using WASD! I just don't like the games that overdo the WASD, and have a billion buttons surround it which you have to try and remember all the functions for.

• Awesome stuff!

Two questions though:

Are we allowed to use the same way you make the blobber to do something entirely different?

&

Is your bezier curve quadratic or cubic?

• cubic and you can use the effect, just try not to make seem like a ripoff off my game.

and guys, im not putting wasd cause my entire left hand is in a cast right now,:lol: , theyll be a choice anyway, thank you every1 for the feedback

• srry for double post but if u mean use the game engine, or the character thats a no. you can use the effect used to draw blobs but you cant use my character or engine that would be cheap, i posted it so that people can see how it works, not change stuff around to make their own game, plz respect that, because i myself plan on reusing this engine, you can use the blob effect freely as you wish,ive said that when i first released it OS. but dont take the engine for use in your own projects plz, look at how it works and make something on your own.

• Oh hell no. I'd never take the engine. I just would like to use the blob effect and I plan on simplifying your cubic bezier if possible so that people can actually read it and see what's happening.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Finally got a chance to look at this, and I have to say it's coming along quite nicely. Damn fine work bro!

~Sol

• Oh hell no. I'd never take the engine. I just would like to use the blob effect and I plan on simplifying your cubic bezier if possible so that people can actually read it and see what's happening.

yea sure ur free to do that, and beziers never look simple lol, except the basic ones, theyre a good example of a fractal actually

• check my help thread, i need well help with a problem im havin with this game, its stopping further work atm

• well, the old thread was collecting cobwebs so ill post this new .cap here, note that the plat movement is temporary, im working on a custom that allows some physics interaction if i can, and im also making some non physics gear engines, because not all gears need to have physical reactions., it tends to be cpu intensive at times

th3 fil3

Repost .cap, whff has eaten it

• the file in this thread should suffice, its more up-to-date than this one anyways

(the turn around on the gun is slightly messed tho, but ive fixed that in a newer file)

also im curious as to why you want me to rehost

• Because I don't have it any more?

• Plus he knew I was going to be reading the thread and haven't downloaded it yet.

I swear he's got

powers ... just take one look at his avatar.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)