Layout Size and Big Images

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php

aaaaaahhh....damn.

then i am screwed lol

• but hey, theres something just not right.

Anybody of you ever heard of Infinity Engine? it was used for Baldrus Gate saga, Icewind Dale, Planescape... for every area there was used at least one "map" image. and to be honest those images are huge. the biggest i remember was 5120/3584 pix. see for yourself: http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/~chevar/Co ... AR2800.rar

And IE engine is like a dinosour.

What my point is - Construct is not worst right? i am here not to point that Construct is worst then something. I am just saying that if others can why not to make Construct too be able to handle such features?

I mean, Construct developers are quite a birght minds right? find a way then, you can do it. You are not worst then them right?

Please dont flame/attack/troll me for wanting something whats already available for many others.

(Sidenote: yes i am sure about IE using FULL not sliced images of the map as i am a veteran modder of that engine. i dont know what "technique" the IE engines uses for handling such giant images but the bottom line is: he handles)

• Construct is not worst right? i am here not to point that Construct is worst then something. I am just saying that if others can why not to make Construct too be able to handle such features?

I mean, Construct developers are quite a birght minds right? find a way then, you can do it. You are not worst then them right?

It's a different engine, and was made from scratch to accommodate large images. It has different ways of loading them into memory, and the game is structured around loading these images. Construct is an all purpose 2d engine which is hardware accelerated. It doesn't support large images well. And this notion of slicing that you keep bringing up; it only matters if the large image isn't a square power of two. if you have a 2048x2048 image, then no amount of slicing is going to make it use any less resources. it only matters if you have an image which is let's say, 128x2048, in which case the gpu will treat the slices as 16 128x128 images, instead of one large 2048x2048 image. Construct isn't IE. If you want to use large images then section your levels into layouts and load the textures on layout start up, it might work. But in general, you shouldn't design your game around large texture backgrounds, it's not efficient.

• you people really dont get the message do you...

fine, then remain as you are. after all - progress blows right...? >_>

you are just like B. Gates who once said "640K ought to be enough for anybody".

you think i enjoy bringing this over and over? you think i value my time wasting on brining up this big images issue? did you asked yourself "why this guy is so persistant?" ?

because lack of big images is what handicappes both my game and my workflow with Construct. Because THIS is the most common issue for most new non-programer users of Construct.

look around you. everybody would die for Construct having better big pictures handling, cant you see that? cant you see how many things it would solve and make easier/better?

i know that all your pro's have all the Construct mastery in you one finger - but we dont.

or maybe you just enjoy this situation? being the lone kings of the hill.

fine, but dont expect Construct become any more popular then he is now.

i like Construct. from all the engines ive researched this is the best. best - but not perfect.

its because i like Construct so much i write all this, its because i CARE.

i know that every time i make a new thread a group of users goes "Ohhhh him again...". but perhaps instead of playing the "i am so cool and ironic" role you should stop for a brief moment and think about what this guy is saying. Maybe then he will look so stupid no more.

sorry if i offended anyone or apeared to be rude but thats my thoughts, this is what i think. And if i am famous for anything - it is for voicing my opinion regardless of the circumstances (of course, in range of sanity)

• nobody is trying to flame/troll you, they are just trying to tell you that right now it is NOT possible to use large images at backgrounds and they are also telling the different methods/workarounds you can use to achieve that effect/whatever that is. But you are just ignoring their advice and saying that you want to use a big image in construct, if it is not possible how you can do it.

No doubt that construct devs are bright minds but they are not superhumans, they are working on construct as a hobby project. Whine/request about new features when construct goes commercial they'll be working on it full time.

Go back and read the thread again and use your mind how you can implement the ideas others have suggested. If you can't find a way then just increase the minimum specs required to play your game.

• Everyone so far has been offering you alternative options. Not because they do not want to be able to use huge textures, but because it is a difficult technical issue that construct was never designed to handle.

It is upsetting that because of your single minded approach, you consider the wealth of information given to you a waste of your time.

Developing video games is one logic puzzle after the next, and it takes a while to adjust your thinking pattern to be in line with this. The thought of using a single giant texture for a space scene seems absolutely outrageous to me, but to you it seems to be the only option.

Take another look over this thread, read and explore the many examples given by the 'kings of the hill', and hopefully you will realise they are not trying to hold you back.

• nobody is trying to flame/troll you, they are just trying to tell you that right now it is NOT possible to use large images at backgrounds and they are also telling the different methods/workarounds you can use to achieve that effect/whatever that is. But you are just ignoring their advice and saying that you want to use a big image in construct, if it is not possible how you can do it.

No doubt that construct devs are bright minds but they are not superhumans, they are working on construct as a hobby project. Whine/request about new features when construct goes commercial they'll be working on it full time.

Go back and read the thread again and use your mind how you can implement the ideas others have suggested. If you can't find a way then just increase the minimum specs required to play your game.

you are missing the point too.

you think that if you say something 1000 times itll make anybody understand it better then at the very 1st one...? whats next? that the sky is blue in a sunny day?

if this is what you got fromthis thread i belive it is you who should read this whole thread with special attention to my posts.

i am "suggesting". you either agree or disagree. and the only thing ive had recived so far is telling me that the wheel is round. isnt that just obvious?

i agree that the thread derailed much. but if you wont ask - you wont get.

disscusion is what pulls the attention to crusial issues.

i agree i myself derailed this thread quite a bit but to be honest i am the one who feel totaly ignored. i am yaling at you "this would be a great addition to construct" and what i get?

"its not possibile". well gee wiz, then why not to MAKE it possible? you think the devs have mind reading powers? how can they know what users want if you wont tell them? and if many people will request Feature X to be added - then "maybe" it will.

but yeah. i think ill stop now. its like hiting a brick wall with my own head. wall will remain but my head will get hurt.

you know i actualy bother myself to do a little "sanity check" on myself and ive asked 4 friends of my to visit this thread without knowing i am the thread starter, and tell me what do they think. lemme quote one of them:

[21:31] BlackWolf: i have to point out that i cant understand most of what they are saying but i can see how they are avoiding the subject
    [21:31] BlackWolf: they simply refure to supply an awnser OR do anything about it[/code:yx88fj9b]

so yeah. 

and 
    [quote:yx88fj9b]It is upsetting that because of your single minded approach, you consider the wealth of information given to you a waste of your time.

from page two - yes it actualy was a waste of time, but i didnt asked for it. maybe pay more attention to what people are saying next time before you accuse them of having "single minded approach". 
    i gave a question
    i got answear
    then i asked another question (why?)
    then i got a stream of the same previous answeares.

i am off.
  • There is no agreeing, or disagreeing, there is the way it is.

You've been given alternatives.

Sorry you're unhappy with that, but as the man said "You don't go to war with what you want, you go with what you have."

• Looks like irbis has yet to learn a fundamental lesson in gamedev: your creativity is held back by system limitations. Sure, who wouldn't like to have huge images not impact performance? It's not that people don't want it. It's that Construct can't do it. It's hardware accelerated. The engine you used in the past, RPVX or whatever it's called, could not do what Construct can, not even close. Construct is very high performance, but you can't use images of any size; that's the price you pay. Get creative and figure out a way around it. All of these old games that you speak of, they weren't created by spoiled developers who had infinite resources like we (practically) do today. If you were to see the things they had to devise and come up with to get around system limitations, you would leave gamedev forever, as it's a pure technical/mathematical/boring nightmare. Consider yourself spoiled that you can waste resources like crazy and get away with it. So what, you can't use a big image for a space scene. Make some starfield textures, rotate them, overlay them, slap on an additive blend mode, adjust the color filter for infinite color variation, and do the same thing with galaxies; you'll have a starfield which is just as nice, or even nicer than a painted one, at a fraction of the resources use, AND you can animate it, change it, do anything to it with events. More work than drawing? Yes, but that's the price you have to pay to make a game. Anyone who makes games does this. Your not going to get your big image support, it's not something that can just be added. If you want to use Construct, then learn to work around it's limitations, which quite frankly, are few and far between.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It is understood that this is a feature request, and yes I think it could be possible to implement as a plugin or even by modifying Construct. I have some ideas on how it could be done as a plugin, but the problem is a lack of time to experiment with it as I don't know exactly how it could be done.

All the posts with workarounds are trying to be be helpful by showing way's to continue making your game now despite the lack of large image support. There is no telling telling how long it will take before a feature gets implemented, if at all.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)