Velocity buffer motion blur?

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Complete the collection by purchasing Motion Universe Pt. 2
  • > the lack of it has been an obvious visual flaw in animation since the original king kong and godzilla claymation scenes

>

It would not look better with motion blur, It needs more frames, and overall better animation.

While the animation may suck and it may need more frames, Godzilla would look better with motion blur. Motion blur is what makes it okay to watch a film in 24 frames a second. Since most games cannot do this easily (well...you know...) they must rely on 30 to 60 fps to do the blurring. With 60 frames going in a second the brain adds its own motion blur. Or so I have heard...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I like station wagons

~Sol

• > I suggest using my motion blur effect

>

Where can I get your motion blur effect?

Sorry, I spent like a month hard at work.

I still have some work to do on those effects, though motion blur is mostly finished.

Edit: oh and "gimmicky".... yeah, videogames themselves are gimmicks. This is a nonsense word. Motion blur is what makes 24fps video (commercial movies) look realistic. Pixar has been using it since the very beginning in their rendering.

Maybe... maybe I can think of a way of doing fullscreen velocity-buffer motion blur. I'll think it over, something clicked while typing this.

• i have a technique for making motion blur that uses very little power and is simple to implement. the blur is generated using the "broken" subtract 0.0 shader. that shader seems to capture frames and slowly fade them away, so when u move an object under it, it captures all of its movement, and adjusting the opacity of the filter (is effectively adjusts its strength). it works much like the blur in a real camera. the only problem it really has is with extremely fast moving object, since it doesnt take an average of frames, rather it captures frames as they go by. making it sorta like the castlevania blur, but alot smoother and more realistic

the upside is that its an incredibly lightweight effect compared to other full screen blurs in fact it barely even touches the fps no matter what strength u make it, since it simply captures a frames already rendered data, and its simple as pie to implement. broken shaders always have their uses.

• i have a technique for making motion blur that uses very little power and is simple to implement. the blur is generated using the "broken" subtract 0.0 shader. that shader seems to capture frames and slowly fade them away, so when u move an object under it, it captures all of its movement, and adjusting the opacity of the filter

That effect is called frame-feedback (previous frames fade out). You can do it properly with a canvas with grab layout and less than 100% opacity - using a "broken" shader relies on undefined graphics card behavior and might look borked for other people. Personally I find it quite an irritating effect, and it's definitely not a true motion blur, more of a stepped trail effect, like spawning fading-out sprites behind a moving object.

• I've just been testing around with moBlur and while it worked pretty well in earlier layouts, now that everything is animated and there's a lot more stuff going on, even 5x moBlur slows down my highEnd machine considerably (from straight 60fps to 20-30fps).

This is such an important effect, is that velocity buffer algorithm being integrated into Construct? I'd love to add the option for moBlur, but at the current state it's just too hardware consuming.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)