Escape the Dark Tower - Now on Steam!

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • Looks nice, I'll play it once I get home and download it on Steam. I also notice you have a day job at some type of work from the Topic Review, and I'm just going to let you know it's never too early or late to start a job or do your own preference! =)

• Wow, I really like the trailer, looks very cool and interesting :)

• Looks nice, I'll play it once I get home and download it on Steam. I also notice you have a day job at some type of work from the Topic Review, and I'm just going to let you know it's never too early or late to start a job or do your own preference! =)

Thank you so much. I hope you'll like it! ^_^

• Wow, I really like the trailer, looks very cool and interesting :)

Thank you! I'm so happy to hear it!

• I was wondering what happened to you! I figured the launch went so well that you retired and moved to a luxurious dark tower or you got hit by an asteroid. I'm very glad to hear the launch went well.

150 copies sold is a big accomplishment for a solo project! Do you have any plans on how to continue the momentum?

• I was wondering what happened to you! I figured the launch went so well that you retired and moved to a luxurious dark tower or you got hit by an asteroid. I'm very glad to hear the launch went well.

150 copies sold is a big accomplishment for a solo project! Do you have any plans on how to continue the momentum?

Getting hit by an asteroid seems more likely! =P

Thanks so much! ^_^

Frankly, I'm not planning to push for more momentum. I'd definitely love more visibility and sales, but my marketing efforts haven't made a significant impact compared to what the initial Steam launch week brought in. So, unless I stumble upon some new marketing strategies, I believe my time is better spent working on a new game. It might sound a bit sad, but I'm actually quite pleased with how things went for my first Steam experience. I'm optimistic the next one will be even better!

And hey, your game's launch is just around the corner! That's exciting! I'm looking forward to it and really hope it goes well for you!

• Are you planning on making another adventure game? You've definitely got a polished framework ready to go!

I've been wondering if releasing adventure games in episodes is the way to go in the current environment. That way you could have people stream episode 1 to drum up interest without spoiling the whole game. Maybe that's how games like The Last Door managed to do so well.

• Are you planning on making another adventure game? You've definitely got a polished framework ready to go!

I've been wondering if releasing adventure games in episodes is the way to go in the current environment. That way you could have people stream episode 1 to drum up interest without spoiling the whole game. Maybe that's how games like The Last Door managed to do so well.

I haven't decided yet, but it's quite possible it'll be another adventure game. =)

I had the same thought about episodes, and I did consider a series, but I'm also afraid I'd get tired of the same story/theme before it's finished, so I'm still thinking about it.

Regarding The Last Door, I actually bought it a while ago but didn't get far. It just doesn't click with me, I'm not sure why. Curious to hear what others think made it successful. Have you played it yourself?

• I did. I played it to the end so I guess it clicked somewhat but I was expecting a lot more due to how famous it was. I think people simply forgot that you could make a suspenseful story with simple graphics and so everyone thought it was some amazing revelation!

I recently finished Stasis Bone Totem. I enjoyed it although it has the same problems as the prior games. The moon logic around the puzzles is insane...you really do need a walkthrough and some of the writing was ridiculous. But overall it created a very intense atmosphere, some of the characters were amazingly written, and I was so curious about the environment that I just kept playing for hours.

I guess the common thread is the payoff wasn't as interesting as I was hoping in both games.

• I did. I played it to the end so I guess it clicked somewhat but I was expecting a lot more due to how famous it was. I think people simply forgot that you could make a suspenseful story with simple graphics and so everyone thought it was some amazing revelation!

I recently finished Stasis Bone Totem. I enjoyed it although it has the same problems as the prior games. The moon logic around the puzzles is insane...you really do need a walkthrough and some of the writing was ridiculous. But overall it created a very intense atmosphere, some of the characters were amazingly written, and I was so curious about the environment that I just kept playing for hours.

I guess the common thread is the payoff wasn't as interesting as I was hoping in both games.

Come to think of it, as much as I've always seen myself as a fan of adventure games, there are very few titles out there that I actually like, including the classics. It's like I know there's potential in the genre, but few have managed to nail the right formula for me. I know it's cliché, and I'm probably partial due to nostalgia, but I do think Lucasarts came the closest to it.

I feel like it's just rare that a solo developer or even a small team happens to excel at all the aspects that make a good adventure game. Like, maybe I wouldn't have lost interest so quickly in The Last Door if it had a better art direction. I don’t mind the low-res graphics if they are consistent, but I really disliked the high-res assets slapped onto it and stuff like that.

• I agree. LucasArts did it the best. Maybe the nature of the genre is just especially good at making flaws glaringly obvious. If all the gameplay is story and puzzles it's easy to see the cracks in the writing and the detached game-iness of the puzzles.

I also know my tolerance for being stuck has declined! Back in ancient times I thought sitting on the phone with a friend, both of us playing Monkey Island, and trying to work out the same puzzle together was a really good time. "Did you use all your inventory items on the tree stump?" "Yeah, I tried that...What do we do now?"

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This is a very cool project, with good atmosphere and nice old school graphics. I hope you'll make it full of mystery, good luck !

• This is a very cool project, with good atmosphere and nice old school graphics. I hope you'll make it full of mystery, good luck !

Thank you, I'm happy to hear you liked it! ^_^

Just to clarify, the game is already live on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2465090?utm_source=c3

• I'll give it a try as soon as I got time for it, and post a feedback here. Everything looks charming and the palette brings childhood memories.

You may look for two amazing games :

Spectable by GrahfMetal https://grahfmetal.itch.io/spectacle

Ponderabilia by Moloko https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1751

They are mostly unknown, although being rare gems.

• It looks really cool, I've already added it to my wish list and will buy it later. Very good to know that it was done in the construct. A great example of a well-made game apparently, at least the graphics are very interesting.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)