Transparent shadows without separate layer? [SOLVED]

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
94 Inside buildings views - Isometric view - PNG transparent - 2048x2048
  • I need to create shadows on the same layer as everything else so that I can do z-sorting, but placing them on the same layer makes them overlap like in the first image, which I don't want. I tried masking them but without success.

What I don't want:

What I want (this is accomplished with a separate layer with 20% transparency):

Tagged:

• Following, as I'd love to know a solution to this as well. Personally I haven't found a situation where it doesn't work to have the shadows on their own layer (I do this frequently in my current project), but I can understand the requirement.

It is possible to do it with masks, but the results aren't pixel perfect, and you'd end up with issues where the shadow is masking out other sprites.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Besides a layer I suppose you could use a canvas instead.

Draw all the shadows to the canvas with full opacity and all the other objects with a “destination out” blend. Then you can set the canvas’ opacity.

I’m a bit iffy if the paste action be used like that in c3. You’d need to draw things in order.

Another idea that would work is a layer. All the shadows are there and clones of all the objects with “destination out” blends. May be a bit tedious to work with though.

What it comes down to is if we want multiple shadows to be equally transparent, even in the overlapping areas, we need to draw them full opacity together first and then make them transparent.

• Thank you very much for the reply R0J0hound!

Don't think, at least from my understanding, that the canvas can work in my case? It doesn't seem to me different from having a separate layer with all the shadows on it? In my 2.5D project, every shadow is an instance of the Sprite Shadow and gets sorted together with other members like trees, player, rocks of the family by it's origin. So if a tree's Y is bigger than another tree's Y, it will have a greater z-index and thus get drawn above it.

Do you mean in the second solution "Another idea that would work is a layer ..." that there would be a separate layer for just the shadows again or am I misinterpreting it?

• I’ll try to make an example tomorrow. Basically one layer would be just the objects, and the other layer would have objects and shadows, but the objects are subtracted away.

• So here are some ideas. For an example I had a few solid green balls that are in front of and behind some blue clouds. The goal is for the clouds to be uniformly blended together. I went for the simple case of one object type, so you'd either have to use a family or do something more complex for multiple types.

The first basically clones the first layer onto a second. Then all the objects are given 100% opacity and the solid objects have destination out.

dropbox.com/s/vhegleb8dry4l15/shadow_blend_clones.capx

The second C2 example uses the third party paster plugin. All the objects are drawn to the paster, but the solid are erased.

dropbox.com/s/q893tdqvcaqmgu5/shadow_blend_paster.capx

The C3 version using the drawing canvas. Basically the same as the paster one.

dropbox.com/s/i7nl6hvrgdlkyhy/shadow_blend_c3_canvas.c3p

• Wow thank you for those examples R0J0hound!

I tried with the cloning since I wouldn't know how to even start trying to transform the drawing canvas one with families and sorting. I have tried adjusting it as a family with sorting and after an hour I'm still getting a full white screen, so I sadly don't really understand how this can work with families.

I had tried having a separate shadow and ball object, and then a separate "Sprite2" for each and putting the ball and shadow inside a family (for sorting purposes), but it just either doesn't seem possible or my knowledge in that is way insufficient. Probably the latter. Still, thank you for the nice examples.

• I think the drawingCanvas example would be the simplest one since it just uses the z order of the objects.

Do you have an example project of how you set up the objects? If the shadows and objects are in one family then that’s fairly simple. If instead it’s an assorted variety of objects then that is a bit less simple.

The verbose pseudo code of what we want to do is this:

For each object ordered by zorder
    — is a shadow? Make visible and set opacity to 100
    — is not a shadow? Set blend to destinationOut
    — paste object
    — set blend mode to normal
    — is shadow? Make invisible

But with events there are some simplifications.

Anyways, with an example of how your objects are setup I could make a more specific example.

• Sorry for the late reply. This would be an example matching the one in my project. It's pretty much what I'm trying to accomplish

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IeVm846xSOU5uJEtvNOxCwwAj8AbqEjb/view?usp=sharing

I haven't yet used the drawing canvas so it might as well be the simplest, I don't know. But I also have a lot of effects on the layer, not sure if they work with the canvas? I assume canvas would be more efficient than having clones, especially if objects sine and have animations

• Ah, I see. Yeah, doing what you want is much simpler than what I proposed. I'd say still use the drawingCanvas. You can even use it to make the shadows from the objects directly.

This clears the canvas, rotates the trees 221 degrees, pastes trees to canvas, return the trees to 0 degrees, then draws a black rectangle with the "source in" blend.

dropbox.com/s/3noo9ie08ckvx6r/shadow_blend_simple.c3p

Or instead of rotation, you could use distort meshes to make a skew.

dropbox.com/s/qczxy22l8tr936s/shadow_skew.c3p

• Thank you for the examples, they are quite nice! Because I simulate the angles and sizes of shadows to cycles of the Sun(s) and planets, I used the first example because I like the manual control of it.

DrawingCanvas is way more efficient and less time consuming for this than the method I use. But, I have encountered an issue; it works nice with "Fullscreen mode: off", but since I have layouts up to 1M x 1M, I use scale outer, and this seems to break it - the shadows are in the wrong positions (at an offset).

Weirdly, what fixes it is zooming out the layout in my case 24% (I have those controls built in) so after that zoom out and further they are in the right positions. Do you know what might cause the wrong positions on scale out mode? I might be doing something wrong too while adjusting it for large layouts.

Edit (updated your c3p file to show issue):

drive.google.com/file/d/1yNc1nvCW7_xbjtRdvEowmikwrJYRRMRJ/view

• I suspect the issue has to do with the size of the drawing canvas.

Don’t make it the size of the layout, just make it the size of the screen, and position it to the scroll position.

You could make the draw reactance still cover the layout, or just make it cover the visible view area.

Since it is visual effect you don’t need it to be bigger than the screen. Besides that will save video ram too.

Anyways the reason the size of the canvas is probably causing your issue is the canvas is using a texture and webgl has a maximum texture size per device which is smaller than that layout size.

• Yup, that was the problem, setting the position to the camera every tick and size to the viewport fixed it. Works like a charm now, is very performant and looks very good. Thank you very much for all the help R0J0hound!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)