How can I make my Up special work?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
A collection of various soldier character sprites for creating a 2D platformer or sidescroller game
  • I have this script for a fighting game (like smash) and I have a working up special but the problem is I dont know how to make this work mid air since it is just a normal platformer sprite can someone help me figure this out

(pics of script)

• Easiest way to do that would be to run a check to see if the player is in the air. There is a condition for "Is Jumping", or invert "Is on floor" to check to see if they are not on the ground/platform.

• I will try it and respond if it worked

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Easiest way to do that would be to run a check to see if the player is in the air. There is a condition for "Is Jumping", or invert "Is on floor" to check to see if they are not on the ground/platform.

Yeah saddly this is not work is their a way to make my player be able to jump mid air becuase that might work

(the way its working is somtimes it does jump mid air and sometimes it does not for some reason)

• Yeah, under the properties for your player object on the left hand side, there should be a double jump option. You can click that radio box to enable double jump, or uncheck, to disable the double jump feature. Hope this helps :)

EDIT: Although in your screenshot above, it looks like you have it disabled there in the event sheet.

• So it looks like in the screenshot posted above, it's disabling it for 3 seconds, then enabling it again. The double jump that is. So if you are in the air for longer than 3 seconds and happen to hit your key for jump, then it will perform the double jump. That may be why the double jump seems hit or miss right now?

• Thank you for replying so quickly I have an edited script now just realized it (pics at bottom) if you would like some game play of the problem please ask

(pic of standing up special)

(pic of jumping up special)

(pic of resetting the jump power back to normal)

• So it looks like in the screenshot posted above, it's disabling it for 3 seconds, then enabling it again. The double jump that is. So if you are in the air for longer than 3 seconds and happen to hit your key for jump, then it will perform the double jump. That may be why the double jump seems hit or miss right now?

I am still going to try this one though

• Hmm, might be an issue with the wait timing like mentioned earlier. Rather than having two copies of the events for is jumping or is falling. You could simply set it all under one for "Is on Floor", and have it inverted? That way it will check to make sure the player is in the air, whether they are jumping or falling.

Let me know how you make out, with the enabling the double jump. Other than that, make sure no other Events are conflicting with this one in the event sheet.

• It could be that first Event pictured. I would add a condition to check that the player is on the Floor as well in that one. That way that one activates when they are on the floor. And the midair action will happen when the player is off the floor jumping/falling.

EDIT: Also looks like you are setting "Variable1" to true during the reset. Wouldn't that need to be set back to false? Since, it is being set to true during the attack phase?

You may also want to use a separate variable for each one. One for on ground, and one for the mid-air? Depending on how you are doing things. That could be a confliction as well.

EDIT 2: And, during the reset. The check for W and E key, would want to be inverted? To see that they are not down? Or simply have one condition, to check that they are on the ground, and set the variable accordingly.

That's just a few things I noticed looking over the screenshots. Hope it helps :)

• It could be that first Event pictured. I would add a condition to check that the player is on the Floor as well in that one. That way that one activates when they are on the floor. And the midair action will happen when the player is off the floor jumping/falling.

EDIT: Also looks like you are setting "Variable1" to true during the reset. Wouldn't that need to be set back to false? Since, it is being set to true during the attack phase?

You may also want to use a separate variable for each one. One for on ground, and one for the mid-air? Depending on how you are doing things. That could be a confliction as well.

EDIT 2: And, during the reset. The check for W and E key, would want to be inverted? To see that they are not down? Or simply have one condition, to check that they are on the ground, and set the variable accordingly.

That's just a few things I noticed looking over the screenshots. Hope it helps :)

Thank you it worked and I'm so happy :'D (tear of joy)

EDIT: I'm really glad construct has such a great community

• You're welcome :)

Happy I could be of help, and I'm glad you got it working! Keep it up!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)