Size of the level

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • I'm creating a level on my game where the player will slide all over the level and colect some itens. Something like this:

Well, I need to create this level and to develop the downhill I doing this:

Is that the right way to do it? Am I doing this all right?

• You can:

a. Place the entire layout in the layout editor.

b. Create "pieces" of the terrain as you get to them by storing the level layout details in a data format and loading them in offscreen as you go.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • b. Create "pieces" of the terrain as you get to them by storing the level layout details in a data format and loading them in offscreen as you go.

Do you have any example of this option? Thanks in advance.

• There's nothing wrong with having a really huge layout - Construct does not allocate more memory or do more work if the layout is bigger, so the size doesn't really affect performance at all.

• Ashley , let me use this topic to ask something. The layout size doesn't affect performance and it's a question that were asked many times throught out the years, but the pathfinding behavior take it into account to scan the playable area and can result in a huge array of coordinates, which I assume that's how it's done behind the scenes. Would affect performance when trying to calculate a path?

• The pathfinding behavior does allocate more memory depending on the size of the layout (and the cell size). This shouldn't affect the performance of finding paths - assuming you calculate the same path with the same obstacles, having a larger layout should not affect anything, since the pathfinding algorithm generally ignores far-away areas.

The core engine itself can use unlimited sized layouts with no overhead.

• Ashley Good to know. Thanks.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)