Player character stuck on idle pose and not animating.

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Hi folks,

I've liked what I can see in Construct so far, but I'm becoming quite frustrated with the lack of updated tutorials and my inability to make things function the way they supposedly should.

I've looked through multiple examples for how to simply make a character animate when Platform Move is activated, but for the life of me I cannot make this happen. I've got my sprites all imported, my collisions are great, my code is in there- but no matter what I do I cannot get my character to even walk anywhere.

I got it to work exactly once, by placing the movement steps/animation into each key direction- but that just made the animation play constantly, despite a separate event telling it to stop that when movement ceased.

So here I am, asking for help and feeling like an absolute idiot.

• Looks like you have platform enabled and default set on your Player Object.

You are using a playerbox and setting the position of your Player every tick so you dont need to move your character with Platform, just need to move your box.

• Indeed I do, because if I turn that off- then nothing works at all. I have platformer and other behaviors set to the Sprite because even when they're on just the player-box, it acts like nothing happens.

Is there something I'm missing about how those two operate? I'm not used to needing another object to handle things.

• I appreciate your response, and I DO have platform behaviors also on the invisible box as well.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Can you send your work file so we can take a closer look?

• I will try and do that, sure.

I'm not sure what the previous poster meant by making the behavior default- as far as I can tell, I can't even adjust parameters when the behavior is on my invisible rectangle.

• I'm not even sure how to send over a work file, I got a copy downloaded- but don't see a way to attach a file, only images and HTML.

• upload your work file on dropbox/google drive/ a similar service, then paste the link here.

• 1drv.ms/u/s!AihEKVEcOS6Jhb0v8D4O1e7xgMi0Sw

Here you go! Named after a genre of music I recently discovered.

• Try using is moving instead of on moved in the condition to trigger the run animation in event 4

• You have your Player Object set to Default Controls which moves your character with your arrow keys.

But the whole purpose of the player box is to move your playerbox with platform and set your character to the position of your box with your every tick set position action.

Not sure if this could break the movement in some way or not, just seems like as good as any area to start. :-p

• Well, I figured it out! And I feel a mite foolish.

I neglected to actually place the darn playerbox into my layout. I don't know how I skipped that, I'll happily blame the fact that I'm unused to needing a second object in place to move stuff though.

Dumb mistake- now to figure out why my dude's feet hover off the ground on creation.

Thanks for your help!

• No worries, you'll continue to make foolish mistakes as long as you keep Dev'ing :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)