How do keep my game maintenable/modular?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Modular Isometric Vehicles Pack fpr Strategy Games.
  • Hello Everyone,

A while ago I developed a quite complex game using Construct2.

I hoped to come back to the project but it turned out that the events sheets are so complex it is really hard to make any further improvements in the game.

I tried to find some good resources on how to keep the events sheets modular. What is the best approach?

What are the good practices for professional games made in construct?

How do you split the events sheets into smaller, behaviour like sheets?

Is there a way to achieve it not using scripts or maybe are there things that scripts work much better long term?

Also is there a way to make the sheets reusable? If I develop dialogue or inventory system I would love to avoid just copying and pasting the events or re-clicking them.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • What you're looking for here is event sheet includes.

https://www.construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/project-primitives/events/includes

You can put each of your systems in a dedicated event sheet, and include them into whichever other event sheets you want them to affect :)

• you write the different pieces of your code to depend on other parts of code as little as possible so changing something doesn'T break other things. You also use variables instead of hardcoding values so they can be changed on the fly. another thing you can do is to make everything the same thing so you only code it once, and then it has variables to manage the differences

• I love Construct 3!If I develop dialogue or inventory system I would love to avoid just copying and pasting the events or re-clicking them.

Obviously doesn't apply to all things but I like to use modular functions that can do different things depending on what variables are passed to them. This means that when you have similar systems, you can use the function to handle them rather than duplicate near identical events. You can pass a string or any variable to the function to determine which set of events it should execute.

• Thank you so much! Very valuable tips :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)