Is there a good solution to dealing with multiple resolution sizes?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Be quick and choose the right answer for the shown equation.
  • Point sampling makes the sprite jagged and weird at certain zoom levels (even 100%)

While Linear Sampling doesn't make the sprite jagged at 100%, it does seem to lose its shape. Clothing items don't quite cover the character, which is especially noticeable during animation

Is there any way to get Point Sampling to look normal at all zoom levels?

• it looks like if I enable Pixel Rounding and change fullscreen mode to Letterbox Integer Scale, the sprites look normal at a zoom rate of 100%

But now I have these massive borders

• So now the question is: Is there any way to get fullscreen WITHOUT sidebars and WITHOUT messing up how the sprites look?

• Thank you Eleanor, it worked!

For anyone else trying to achieve this effect, here is a sample cp3:

drive.google.com/open

important things to note:

fullscreen scaling mode is OFF

"PARA" layer, which holds the coversprites, is 0 x 0 parallax, 100% scale rate

• Use Scale Outer and mark Unbounded Scrolling in your layout properties.

You'll have to make the UI responsive (use anchor behavior on UI itens).

Is what I did in this little pixel game: http://onduck.com/games/zombieslayerviking/

• Renfd you completely missed the point and your game is full of the kind of artifacts we'Re talking about that we're trying to get rid of

I don't think those artifacts are a big deal, but in that case I think kidswithcrowns's solution above is the better aproach, since he is simulating what would be called 'scale outer integer scale'. If it stills produces artifacts, its probably a C3 bug.

• They are a big deal when your game is more complex or you have elements working together,

It makes everything flicker and it'S annoying,

Their solution was imperfect and I provided a way to fix it,

I don'T even know why you're replying to me right now you'Re just wasting my time.

You're not bringing anything to the table and possibly misdirecting people and making them think they should do your solution even though it's absolutely wrong which is a lot of wasted time and effort for other construct users for them to realize they've been misdirected.

Don't need to stress out. I just didn't understood the real issue at the begining, and suggested a different aproach, since him didn't not managed to completly solve the issue in about 2 months. Also you didn't provided a solution at the moment of my post, you edited your post after.

• try doing it like this instead

Hi Eleanor The best Game developer in the world sup ^_^, quick learning purpose questions...

Isn't (platforminfo.WindowInnerWidth/2) x (platforminfo.WindowInnerHeight/2) doing the same thing as the image you shown? why doing that way? Curious if there is a spacing reasoning behind it for different devices or something?

oh sorry about that i seen /2 instead of %2 ... why %2? is that like a 2% margin ?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • GeorgeZaharia % is the Modulo operator (remainder after division)

For example, 13%5=3

• Oh i see :D that is good to know! Thanks for explaining! dop2000 thank you too man! :)

• GeorgeZaharia

what it does is if for example the window width is 855, then 855%2 equals 1, so it will set the window width to 855-1 = 854.

what this does effectively is it lets you make the window size always be an even number without using any conditions.

It's important for the window size to only ever be even numbers in pixelart games because origin points of sprites is always effectively between two pixels, so if you try to center it, it needs a pixel on the left, and a pixel of the right.

if your screen is an odd amount of pixels then the sprite does not know in which pixel on the screen to render so it keeps shifting between the left and the right one and you get artifacts.

Also be careful because if you import a sprite in construct 3 with an odd width or height, it'S origin point will be set on a pixel instead of between two pixels on that odd axis to make it centered, and that one sprite will get artifacts because it does not know where to render.

I was also wondering why to use modulo instead of just screen dimensions. Good info. Thanks for sharing!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)