Exercises?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
  • Hey guys!

So, I've been learning programming through courses on Youtube. I just finished a 'Intro To Programming' video. Took notes and everything. I use Construct 2 for practical use on logic.

Through my journey I've come to realize that, I'm a better hands on learner.

Things start to make more sense AS I'm doing said thing.

So, with that out of the way, I was wondering if anyone can recommend some exorcises

that could perhaps teach me some hands-on uses and applications of arrays and dictionaries.

To be even more clear - I understand arrays and dictionaries conceptually.

But, my knowledge on HOW to use them in Construct 2 is nil.

For an example; I would like to learn how to create an inventory system where each npc also has their own items, gold, equipment. I have figured out how to reference data and apply them to if statements.

But, I haven't figured out how to even display the inventory.

For now I just want some hands on exercises to get me into a more advanced understanding of how everything works together.

Thanks!

Tagged:

• construct.net/en/tutorials/search

You can also search for any other tutorials that you would like.

FYI this is the Construct 3 forum, you might get better responses in the C2 forum.

• Creating an inventory is not an easy task, it may be a bit too advanced for a beginner. Especially if you want multiple npcs in the game to have their own inventories.

One way to do it is to add an Inventory array (or dictionary). When any npc is created, also create a new instance of this array and link it to the npc using UID or some custom npc ID.

There are lots of other things you need to consider when designing an inventory - how it will be displayed, how items will be added, stacking/non-stacking items, limiting stack size, combining/splitting stacks, using/dropping items etc.

I would suggest to start by reading tutorials, there are quite a few:

construct.net/en/tutorials/search

• Thank you. Yeah, I realize an inventory system is too advanced. I could make a static inventory easily.

But, I'm more interested in learning.

So, can you recommend any exercises that I can do hands on? I'll check the tutorials out too.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • By exercises, I mean, like, hands on things I can do with expressions and such.

• Even like, making something simple happen.

Like, using For Loops. I don't know. I'm just trying to figure out where to start.

• construct.net/en/tutorials/search

You can also search for any other tutorials that you would like.

FYI this is the Construct 3 forum, you might get better responses in the C2 forum.

Ah yes! I wasn't sure if the C2 forums were still active or up.

I made a post on it with this same thing and didn't get a response.

• I am not sure what do you mean by exercises. The best way to learn Construct in my opinion is to start making your own game. You'll figure many things yourself once you start developing your game. If you have any questions search the forum and tutorials, read the documentation, and if nothing else helps - ask here and someone will help you.

• I am not sure what do you mean by exercises. The best way to learn Construct in my opinion is to start making your own game. You'll figure many things yourself once you start developing your game. If you have any questions search the forum and tutorials, read the documentation, and if nothing else helps - ask here and someone will help you.

Thanks. Currently working on something.

Just, struggling to figure out an inventory system. Might just make it a static inventory like A Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.

• If you're interested in a little exercise with arrays, try creating tic tac toe. A single player/hotseat version is fine. Use an array as your main data structure.

Or if you're confident, a battleship type game. You can do a single player style one where ships are placed randomly, and it just counts how many shots taken to finish as a score.

These should also get you experience using loops in conjunction with array indexes to check win conditions for tic tac toe, or for placing ships in battleship.

• Thank you. Those are some good ideas.

Trying to figure out where to start working on tic tac toe.

Can't seem to find many tutorials.

Perhaps I'll figure it out by practicing a programming language.

• this is how i learned Construct ... 1st the thing sort of came to be visually easy, as im a front-end developer so knowing html5, css stuff helped.

2nd i took all the examples in Construct over the years and disect them took apart line by line see what they did etc...

3rd i played a lot with one example in particular that made me more used to construct (for me was the audio plugin example), i played with it a lot of time... understood a lot of stuff from it and made me more confortable with the interface. started mixing game ideas with the music stroboscope etc... making objects dance on music, fluctuate etc etc.. so in all what people suggested above... is learn by doing and redoing. having a bit of programming knowledge helps you get into that logical thinking part of things in the event sheet, but even without that you can still learn Construct "programming" by doing.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)