How do I create a top down space shooter with 3d camera?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Hi folks, I'm still learning and I created a small space shooter with a space ship killing asteroids, collecting coins and a infinite Bg scrolling.

I was wandering if it's possible to create a 3D camera in order to do the same project but instead of having a plain jpg background, use a 3D file which could in some way react to the 3D camera regarding the point of view of the user.

Let's say the Bg contains a Tower, while flying above the tower, the user should see different perspective of the tower. This should be done with a 3D camera, correct?

Any hint on how to go for this?

Thanks

• Hey there,

There are multiple examples in Construct where this is done using 3D Objects(blocks). This would be different than using a 3D Background, though...

You might find the "Vehicle switching" template/example the most helpful to see how 3D objects interact with the camera object. But, other examples like the "3D Platforms", and others like "Gravity Portal" may give you an idea of what 3D Objects would look like from different perspectives.

I don't believe what you are asking is possible just yet(using one big 3D object, such as a background). But, you could certainly map out different 3D objects in a level, or have them spawn on set points of the background before coming into the camera's view, or set them where you want on the background.

This would allow the perspective of the buildings to change depending on the players point of view. I know this is not the exact solution you are looking for, but I hope it helps a bit.

All the Best

EDITS: Grammar, and adding info. Maybe some other folks will chime in with some ideas as well :)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks man, I'm still very new to this so yes of course you helped a lot. Every info I read is helping me to create the right approach and mindset. Thanks

• Of course :). I'm always happy to help where I can.

The built in examples have all sorts of cool game mechanics, and examples of gameplay styles that can help figure things out in Construct 3.

If the Event Sheets in the examples are not clear, I usually reference the online Documentation to dive into certain things a bit deeper, to understand how they work. I'm still new myself, and learning everyday.

Keep on progressing!

• Sorry for the double post. But, in my original response, I meant to mention just type in "3D" in the search bar of Construct 3's Start Page. It will bring up a bunch of different 3D examples to check out. Including the few I've mentioned :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)