How do I create an air jump?

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • Thanks for the Tip Timelordzz Finally I managed to replicate your Bug many Times, it doesn't happen all the Time but it happens every now an then, I don't know why but I will play with it see if I can find anything useful but definitely is not your keyboard.

Good that you posted the video otherways would have been impossible to know what you were referring to

• Wow thank you very much, I feel a lot less crazy now. Hopefully, you can come up with something.

• that is strange, i checked your video, and now every 3rd time when i jump back and forth the block on right side and i go to jump on the left where initially the player was, the up press key doesn't work, well it detects the key input but doesn't jump, there is a bug somewhere, to me that looks like a logic delay for some reason, cause if u do it slowly it never fails, but if u do it fast really fast like super-slight-tap like that's when happens on my side atleast.

you glitched me as well lmao ... but ... if the gameplay you are after, isn't very fast paced, considering the fact it works if u don't go bananas fast on the keyboard id say is one of those things u gotta accept? :D

Edited: the glitch happens no matter if u are near edge or not, or your falling, is just a delay logic somewhere(not in the templates event coding, cause its a very basic no delay action type of thing), and the condition considers already jumped for some reason even though visually u landed, the system still considers your 2 frames still falling(this is commonly referred as "jerking" where you visually see stuff that should been happened but actually the render is way ahead of the what actually happens).

this might be a platform behavior glitch or logic function, id file this as a C2 bug, but it might take a while for C2 to be updated, now is a matter of testing it on C3. il be back with that.

Edited: still happens on C3 also, but on C3 happens different, isn't about how fast u tap, but more of where you land... like you said, near the edge... so if you land near the edge of the platform, the player is considered still in the air, this might be the 2 px glitch i always seen on the animation editor in C2, it has to have something with that... that glitch basically when u crop the empty space before the latest version the animation editor would've cropped it up to the very edge of the color pixel but now it ads a 2 pixels margin around the character... and this probably cause of that... on C3 that doesn't happen on the animation editor anymore, but it seems the logic of it is somewhere in the behaviors also not only the editor itself. id file it as a bug on C3 as well, cause C2 we don't know when is going to be updated, or if there is time to focus on C3 and C2 ... till then as i said above, is one of the things you have to live with if you using that platform behavior, or just find another workaround it (like manually create the collision and character movement in the event sheet, is tedious i know... but will be more fail safe.)

• -I most definitely will not accept such a "bug" if it is a "bug". I don't know at this point... It just seems like something that would have been spotted ages ago but.

-Anywho, Thanks for all the ongoing effort again. I hope this link works. This is my game so far.

-And as you can see this jumping error will break this type of game.

timez.itch.io/the-pendant-of-time

• Timelordzz

I manage to simulate the Bug in Auto Mode if you need to report it on the Bug section:

you don't need to Touch any controllers or do anything

Player Stops Oberlaping Plataform at X-560 >>>>

((PlatformX = 384)+(PlatForm.With =160) ) = X-544 >>>>

(Player.With/2) =16 >>>>> (544+16) = X-560

======================================

At your Player Speed = 330 The Bug starts Failing Between X-559 To X-564

Here are the Results for "Simulating Controller Jump" like you were using until now

Testing The Jump 100 Times at Each X Position

X-559 = 2 Fails

X-560 = 100 Fails

X-561 = 100 Fails

X-562 = 100 Fails

X-563 = 100 Fails

X-564 = 32 Fails

X-565 = 0 Fails

=====================================

I Think I managed to fix it Replacing it by ("Using VectorY") I say I think because I dont know if this is the seet up that you looking for but about the Bug it dosnt happen.

Results:

X-559 = 0 Fails >>>From 110 Attemps

X-560 = 0 Fails >>>From 340 Attemps

X-561 = 0 Fails >>>From 100 Attemps

Capx for AutoTest: You need to Activate one Group at the Time and the Global Variable "Bug_Point_X" is where the Jump Will happen so change it to Test different X-Positions in the Range of (559 To 564) or whatever you wish

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pckda3bzwf1x04g/Jump%20Bug%20AutoDebug.capx?dl=0

============

Capx Clean with the Fix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9z51llg2ev1sqb/JumpBug3.capx?dl=0

===========

All the Tests are done on C2 I didn't try C3

This is my game so far.

The Game Looks Awesome, Beautiful Pixel Art, Good luck with it mate :)

• Wow this Auto test/bug report is awesome thanks for making that. Also thanks on the compliments, it means a lot to me.

Now here is the problem with using the YVector.

Like I said earlier in the post, I had gotten the jumping to work with the Y vector just like you have in your "Capx Clean with the Fix"

The new problem now is that the player interacts funny with moving solids. Which is unacceptable with a platformed game.

- Jump up and down on the Solid that has vertical Sine active on it. The player will clip off to one side.

-Run into the Solid that is moving horizontal and press jump when you collide. You will notice it produces different results depending on which direction you run from.

dropbox.com/s/grh0pd558yef1nz/The%20problem%20with%20using%20VectorY.capx

• Wow this Auto test/bug report is awesome thanks for making that. Also thanks on the compliments, it means a lot to me.

No Problem Glad that helped

Now here is the problem with using the YVector.

Like I said earlier in the post, I had gotten the jumping to work with the Y vector just like you have in your "Capx Clean with the Fix"

The new problem now is that the player interacts funny with moving solids. Which is unacceptable with a platformed game.

O Yeah, I did read your First comments about "VectorY" but strangely it didn't do any behaviour like that with me, testing against the Big platform moving at the Left from the original Capx.

But you Right Looking at your Last Capx there is a big problem here, at last, you notice on the smaller Moving platforms when you stand on the edges the Player gets Pushed away when it Jumps.

I manage to replicate the Bug in AutoMode here is the Capx you should report both Bugs to them and see what they gonna tell you, I'm pretty sure they will quick Fix them if they count them as a Bug.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92zmy305xajs1vn/JumpBug%20PushOut%20Of%20Solids.capx?dl=0

• Yup, problem after problem.

Those capx will help alot when submitting the bug reports though.

Thanks for all the help tarek2. Feels good to know there are people out there willing to help for nothing in return.

Divines smile on you, friend.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yup, problem after problem.

Those capx will help alot when submitting the bug reports though.

Thanks for all the help tarek2. Feels good to know there are people out there willing to help for nothing in return.

Divines smile on you, friend.

No Problem mate, I had fun :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)