How do I make audio files play in an order set by the player?

0 favourites
  • 1 posts
From the Asset Store
A set of board games to make your day joyful. Play, Enjoy, Relax
  • Hi!

I am new to this Construct, and enjoying it very much so far!

I want to create a game where the player is moving around in a world (SuperMario-like?) collecting items. I think I will need to implement an inventory list somehow.

Maybe I could put a lot of "play intro", "play verse", and "play song" items/events everywhere in the world, and then these are triggered whenever the player collides with these items.

The items that I want to have collected are audio files. These audio files are snippets of a song, and I already have the stems (files exported per instrument) for the song. The snippets can be the drum track, the piano track or the guitar track and so on. I will make this sync by starting all the tracks from a player collision event. All track will start muted, but depending on which collision event triggers the playback, this will determine which one of the tracks are allowed to be unmuted (or fade in/out).

Say the player collects the SecondVerse_item. Then this audio track would be unmuted in Construct, but there wouldn't be audible sound from this track when the song were playing the intro, or the chorus. The only time this track actually would play back any sound, would be if the song was within the timeframe on the second verse. Simply because the audio file only contains audio within those seconds that the second verse lasts.

I think I can wrap my head around how to do all this without too much problem.

Now, what I'd also like is for the player to be able to rearrrange the order things are played back. Example: How could I make the player able to move the second verse into the position of the first verse? Or maybe even into the position of the intro?

Could I somehow use variables to move the start point of playback of an audio snippet? How well would this then sync up with the rest of the audio clips? I will work the audio files in Pro Tools, which makes sure the precision of my audio files are 100%.

One thought I also had was that an inventory list could be used to let the player rearrange the order of the song parts or vocal parts (like putting all the choruses before the verses or something simliar).

I realize I might be asking for much, but I am hoping someone out there are able to help me somehow. I think this could be a really fun project to see through. Oh, and sorry for my (potentially) bad english.

Tagged:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)