XBOX ONE UWP performance?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • rasulmono You use that VS2015 option, it will work in VS2017

• Hi. I noticed many slowdowns on my Xbox One Game "The very long walk". But when I run it on Xbox via remote preview the performance monitor does not show high GPU or CPU usage.

• Today my Xbox One got another system update, it's now 16299.3033 (1710.171018-1900). It might only be available to Xbox Insiders.

I tested our game again and now the framerate seems to be a few frames faster? Maybe? It's very unscientific and our game has inconsistent fps, but I feel I'm seeing higher maximums than before.

However I checked the changelog for this update and there's nothing about UWP performance.

https://forums.xbox.com/en-us/thread/4f ... 4f634d050b

Would love to hear back if anyone else has tried testing performance on the Fall Creators Update.

• I added some debug texts showing FPS and CPU and GPU usage. GPU is often "NaN" instead of the number but CPU shows 0.1 to 0.3% cpu usage for my game but its still very slow often. Its just a simple endless runner based on the built in example (objects spawned randomly and moved to the left). Why is it so slow if it rarely uses objects or memory? (memory is about 20-25MB)

• Today my Xbox One got another system update, it's now 16299.3033 / 171018-1900. It might only be available to Xbox Insiders.

I tested our game again and now the framerate seems to be a few frames faster? Maybe? It's very unscientific and our game has inconsistent fps, but I feel I'm seeing higher maximums than before.

However I checked the changelog for this update and there's nothing about UWP performance.

https://forums.xbox.com/en-us/thread/4f ... 4f634d050b

Would love to hear back if anyone else has tried testing performance on the Fall Creators Update.

So I've been trying to figure out this Expanded Resources thing as well. I can't seem to get it to work in VS 2017 if I simply open up the sln file (it says that it's incompatible). I found a workaround for this and was able to push to my Xbox dev kit, but it would sometimes freeze up the console and when I did get it to run the performance was still the same as before the Creators Update. The only thing I've been able to find on the subject is this thread which explains you have to change the app type to 'Game' on the Xbox Dev Home, which I tried and didn't see any improvements: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... =wpdevelop

The only other thing I can think of is to push using VS 2015 since Construct 2 is compatible with that and see if that works, but I don't have any high hopes currently.

• huntjn Thanks for the reply. So I'm guessing nobody has seen definite performance improvements from the Fall Creators Update yet. I don't have a dev kit, I'm using a consumer Xbox One in Dev Mode, so I don't have a "Dev Home" app. But good to know it doesn't seem to matter.

FYI I'm using VS2017 with C2, so that's working fine. I've given this tip to numerous people, but maybe the reason the .sln doesn't open is because of the target SDK version. Open the .jsproj file in Notepad, search for <TargetPlatformVersion>, and replace the 10240 with whatever SDK you have installed (14393, 15063, 16299, etc.) Make sure to leave the last number at .0 so it becomes 10.0.16299.0 etc. You can leave the <TargetPlatformMinVersion> at 10240. Save the file and then try to open the .sln in VS2017 again.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • StudioMercato thanks for this! Did that and was able to open it in 2017. Still no performance increase unfortunately.. gonna keep trying to mess around with different settings.

• One thing I've discovered today is that any time the game tries to read an input from the controller, it causes a hiccup in performance. Whenever I press a button, move the joystick, or whatever. It is unclear if this is something in my game's code or something else - for example, if I spin the right joystick around rapidly (which in my game, the right stick does not control anything), performance drops to the point where the game looks completely frozen. Same thing if I keep pressing left or up on the d-pad (also, no code in my game that references these inputs). But, if I stand still with enemies coming at me and dont press any buttons, performance is actually okay for the most part.

Also unrelated to performance but also weird, pressing the B button suspends the application. Anyone else run into this?

• huntjn Glad it worked. I'll be interested to know if you see any performance increases after you get another system update, I really do feel our game is a bit faster now.

I've never seen an input hiccup like you're talking about. Our game is about 35~45fps, what's your range? Btw when you run the game via Visual Studio it's slower due to debugging. Once the game is on the Xbox and you launch it standalone, it should be a lot faster.

As for the B-button, yeah it suspends the game when testing the game in Dev Mode, but our released game on the store doesn't do that. It definitely sucks for testing games that use the B-button, fortunately ours doesn't. I don't know if there's a workaround for that..

• I need to get back into this...been playing around with the Raspberry Pi these past few weeks that I haven't gotten a chance to test any updates yet. Kinda curious to see any performance improvements though.

• Alright so i'm having trouble trying to get C3 exported projects to load in VS2017 for the new update. I usually just use VS2015 as it just loads the project instantly. Anyone else having this issue?

• Cryptwalker I see both C2 and C3 got hotfix patches to today's beta releases, maybe try exporting again? Otherwise, does the below fix work? I just exported from the lastest C2 beta r248 and it's still working for me.

I'm using VS2017 with C2, so that's working fine. I've given this tip to numerous people, but maybe the reason the .sln doesn't open is because of the target SDK version. Open the .jsproj file in Notepad, search for <TargetPlatformVersion>, and replace the 10240 with whatever SDK you have installed (14393, 15063, 16299, etc.) Make sure to leave the last number at .0 so it becomes 10.0.16299.0 etc. You can leave the <TargetPlatformMinVersion> at 10240. Save the file and then try to open the .sln in VS2017 again.

• studio Mercato

Thanks but still not working. I did noticed in the project file, the ToolsVersion and VisualStudioVersion were both set to 14, however the current latest version of VS2017 is at 15.2. I made the updates, and still....same issue. Not sure what the heck is going on here. Weird thing is, it happens with ALL my projects...even new ones that i made specifically for testing. Any ideas? I've been searching the web but been getting all these vague fixes which do pretty much nothing. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with VS2017 now...

• Figured it out!!!! So yeah...turns out it was my installation of Visual Studios 2017 after all. I noticed there was this ominous yellow flag at the top right of the screen in Visual Studios. Not that i cared much for it but i clicked on it anyways and it notified me of an updates for Visual Studios 2017. Clicked on that and it updated Visual Studio Installer. When that finished, Visual Studio Installer ran and allowed me to selected different Workloads Components to install like UWP and other components. So i did that...it all finished. I rebooted...loaded up my exported C3 project and.....it loaded now!!!!

But the build still failed since my SDK versioning was incorrect - even though it actually wasn't. I have 10.0.16299.15 installed but it wasn't reading that. So i did what Studio Mercato suggested and changed the last diigits to a zero : 10.0.16299.0 in the propteries. Then it worked! Hell yes! All is good now .

Gonna deploy this on the Xbox One when i get home..... (yeah i spent half the day at work messing with this... )

• One thing I've discovered today is that any time the game tries to read an input from the controller, it causes a hiccup in performance. Whenever I press a button, move the joystick, or whatever. It is unclear if this is something in my game's code or something else - for example, if I spin the right joystick around rapidly (which in my game, the right stick does not control anything), performance drops to the point where the game looks completely frozen. Same thing if I keep pressing left or up on the d-pad (also, no code in my game that references these inputs). But, if I stand still with enemies coming at me and dont press any buttons, performance is actually okay for the most part.

Also unrelated to performance but also weird, pressing the B button suspends the application. Anyone else run into this?

I've been having the exact same issue with performance hiccups based on user input. It happens on desktop Edge as well, in both public & preview releases. I've been putting together a simple endless runner to test XB1 performance specifically, and the hiccup on any user input causes a noticeable hitch that isn't acceptable, and I had/have the same issue with my previous C2 project but hadn't traced it back to player input. Based upon testing after I read this, that does seem to be the issue there as well. Not sure if it's an Edge issue or a C2 in Edge issue, but it's there.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)