Why on iPhone and iPad there is only 60 fps?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Set of 60 cursors. All icons are of a high quality. A good choice for RPG game.
  • Hello, i'm trying to run game on iPhone and iPad with ProMotion Display (120hz), and on devices i have only 60 fps in games.

When i'm trying to run game on Android device with 90hz display, i have 90FPS

I'm thinking maybe it's Safari with limitations, but on iPad in Chrome, i have same 60FPS. When i'm build app with Cordova, i still have 60FPS.

Interesting thing, that on Mac with Safari i have same 60FPS, even if i disable flag "Prefer page rendeting updates near 60fps". But in Chrome i have 120FPS.

Any ideas is it possible to disable limitation with 60 FPS on iOS devices?

Thank you!

Tagged:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Safari can't render at more than 60 fps, and Chrome on iOS (not Mac) is just Safari wrapped in a different skin.

• This is a deliberate restriction by Apple. Construct will happily run at more than 60 FPS if the browser/system allows it, but Apple have limited the framerate in Safari to 60 FPS. Apple ban other browser engines on iOS, so all other browsers on iOS are just wrappers around the Safari browser engine, so none of them can escape the restriction either. That's Apple for you!

• This is a deliberate restriction by Apple. Construct will happily run at more than 60 FPS if the browser/system allows it, but Apple have limited the framerate in Safari to 60 FPS. Apple ban other browser engines on iOS, so all other browsers on iOS are just wrappers around the Safari browser engine, so none of them can escape the restriction either. That's Apple for you!

Thank you! It's so said, because we have great games with nice and smooth animations, but 60fps looks little bit laggy :(

Will waiting for updates in Safari...

I wonder how much could improve Construct games on iOS if they allow a full Chrome browser worldwide and not just EU, will that get any benefits for Construct devs targetting iOS? For example, more stability when a new iOS release therefore fewer Bugs? or will it not change anything?

developer.apple.com/support/alternative-browser-engines

• I would expect Google, Microsoft and Mozilla will be working on getting their browser engines ported to iOS ASAP for this - but I think they can only publish their browser apps in the EU, so for now at least it has limited reach. However the ability to use real Chrome on iOS, rather than just a Safari-wrapper, means there is at least the option to use a better browser engine on iOS. It should provide options for more features and provide a way to avoid bugs and limitations in Safari (including possibly using a higher refresh rate).

iOS apps will continue to use WKWebView which is based on Safari, but that's normal - on other platforms we use the system webview for apps. It's only web browsing that this will help.

• BTW, i find flag in Safari settings, which enable 120 FPS on Safari. It's called "Prefer Page Rendering Updates near 60fps"

And now, Construct 3 games looks perfectly smooth on Pro Motion Display.

The bad things it's you must disable this flag by your self. So anyone who dosen't disable flag, will have 60FPS picture.

Maybe anyone know, is there any ability to disable this flag in WKWebView?

• Because of iOS restrictions, which aim to preserve battery and prevent overheating.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)