Are their terms if C3 reaches end of life?

1 favourites
From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!
  • Tom But I'm not only talking about a "Closed Scirra", it could be any hypothetical, perhaps the "New lead CEO that shuts C3 down" one is more understandable? I don't know... I've never really dealt with this sort of debate before, I just want a game dev tool and to go back to making stuff.

I really don't want the possible risk of losing access to my c3p files as I've mentioned, unlike C2 which does not have this risk. It matters far too much to me, maybe not to many others I guess.

I have unsubscribed, sorry guys. I appreciate the time and replies.

• Jase00

This is more psychological question than legal. Sentimentality clouds your judgement.

Many of us develop commercial projects here spending months & years.

I've spent quite a lot of time preparing both mentally & technically to make the project I'm working on. Sure many others here go through similar problems, but it is surely a hell of a journey for me.

I only know Construct well enough to make the game of my design and there is no engine which could ever replace it for me at this point. Not when I'm so alone and project is too big for one person.

So yeah I care for my project very much. It could potentially even kill me to lose access to it. But I want to create the best game I can and I need the best engine I can handle. Construct 3 is my one & only option and to hold myself with some hypothetical Scirra-crisis would be creatively suicidal.

I have strong confidence in the engine I have chosen and people who work on it never made me question it so far.

• Mental health o.o

This has become a very weird discussion.

I think all this is like asking what good is Dropbox if the service shuts down?

You should only pay for the Construct 3 engine subscription if it is useful for you now.

You shouldn't buy a subscription for anything if it's not adding value to your life now.

• Tom But I'm not only talking about a "Closed Scirra", it could be any hypothetical, perhaps the "New lead CEO that shuts C3 down" one is more understandable? I don't know... I've never really dealt with this sort of debate before, I just want a game dev tool and to go back to making stuff.

I really don't want the possible risk of losing access to my c3p files as I've mentioned, unlike C2 which does not have this risk. It matters far too much to me, maybe not to many others I guess.

I have unsubscribed, sorry guys. I appreciate the time and replies.

I'm not sure what sort of CEO would shut down the companies lead product.

If you find a competing product with T&C that cover your hypothetical, drop me an email as I'd be interested in taking a look at what they are promising.

Bear in mind as Ashley has mentioned, there are no guarantees that standalone desktop apps will continue to work in perpetuity. This might of been more true a decade ago but software is a lot more sophisticated now and Windows/Graphics driver updates can easily break the functionality of software.

• I did keep in mind what Ashley said in mind, I responded to that.

I've checked game dev comparison websites and such, and I can't find a comparable product to C3, one that ticks the three boxes that caused my concern when combined:

• Is subscription based only
    • Is Web based only
    • Creates a file format that is designed to run in one application (yes its a zip file technically, no you cannot easily view or edit it by extracting it if C3 was closed, minus assets)

If I could find some products comparable to the above, I would have checked their t&c's before being more worried in my replies.

The closest comparable products to C3 to me are C2, CC, Gdevelop, GameMaker, clickteam fusion. But these don't tick the above 3 tick boxes I listed.

I don't know why I'm battling how to spend my time and money, it's crazy, I've never had such an experience like this, I really thought you guys would empathise with the concept at least, even if you had to state a firm "No" to my request.

• I did keep in mind what Ashley said in mind, I responded to that.

I've checked game dev comparison websites and such, and I can't find a comparable product to C3, one that ticks the three boxes that caused my concern when combined:

• Is subscription based only
    • Is Web based only
    • Creates a file format that is designed to run in one application (yes its a zip file technically, no you cannot easily view or edit it by extracting it if C3 was closed, minus assets)

If I could find some products comparable to the above, I would have checked their t&c's before being more worried in my replies.

The closest comparable products to C3 to me are C2, CC, Gdevelop, GameMaker, clickteam fusion. But these don't tick the above 3 tick boxes I listed.

I don't know why I'm battling how to spend my time and money, it's crazy, I've never had such an experience like this, I really thought you guys would empathise with the concept at least, even if you had to state a firm "No" to my request.

If you feel that strongly about it, why not pick another game engine that makes you feel less anxious and insecure? No-one can foresee the future.

• I'm not convinced that what you are asking for is actually legally possible. If you are going to insist on that, it should at least be clear that it's legally possible, or at least that there is some precedent for it.

• Bear in mind as Ashley has mentioned, there are no guarantees that standalone desktop apps will continue to work in perpetuity. This might of been more true a decade ago but software is a lot more sophisticated now and Windows/Graphics driver updates can easily break the functionality of software

It's still true. Even if updates break something, you roll them back or keep one PC with older versions of windows and drivers just in case. Besides nobody serious about their work just updates windows or drivers on their main workstation before making sure it won't break things.

• You are also using subscription model software. Typically with subscription model software, you pay to use it for a certain amount of time and you pay again to extend the time which you can use it.

It stands to reason that if you can no longer pay for a subscription model software, then you should have no expectation of being able to continue to use it. This would apply if Scirra did shut down and was no longer accepting subscription renewals.

Now I don’t see Scirra going anywhere any time soon, but they are a good company and if something were to happen, I’m sure that at the very least, current subscription holders would be able to finish out the duration of their subscription.

• Construct projects are based on open formats like JSON, so there's nothing stopping anyone from creating an open source competitor to Construct. As far as I'm concerned what Construct offers is a convenient interface for managing open projects rather than a locked-in engine. I think that's a great compromise for a subscription-based game development toolkit, and it ensures that we can develop solutions ourselves in the off chance that Construct 3 would stop receiving support.

• the answer is really simple (which is a question but here goes):

are you a game developer or engine tester?

if you're a game developer, don't 'care' for the future of engine, develop games, work on them, release them, earn money, go to next project.

if you're an engine tester, great, test it while it's available, when it's not test some other engine.

how simple ! also save your files locally.

• I agree with Jase00.

I love C2 but that risk that C3 involves with its files and subscription system I just prefer not to use it or start any project with C3.

I have Music 2000 for PC, it appeared in 2000 and today I can still run it on win10 and play my songs or use and edit them for anything. And when it is not possible, I will use a virtual machine.

I already assumed it, C2 / 3 are very good, but the subscription is not for me. Today I am still using C2 for my last project. The offer of available engines is not exactly scarce !.

• So far the only problem seems to be with people who want to access their hundred decades old coding at any given time. Time to move on :)

And as it was pointed out many times now, all files are open and should you have any serious need to restore your projects you can do that either by yourself or hiring 3rd person if you lack the knowledge.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Conspiracy theorist Fortuneteller:

More schools start to use C3, wild investor appears and scirra will sell 15% of company for 150m. Sazam, company is valued at 1b. Everything expensive must be bought by big companies, Alphabet Inc buys it at 1.5b, to make it even more valuable.

C3 gets 100 man army to import software to all counthries and improve it. To make it much better and fix longstanding bugs, backward compatibility will be removed. Because profit does not come from devs.

Prices will be remade and workaround that support some project will be removed.

Scirra owners enjoy rich life and every feature request will be fullfilled in notime.

Last but not least.

You always pay Fortuneteller(1m).

Happily ever after

• I request nuclear strike on this topic. We can't contain it anymore.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)