Stutterring but reads 60fps

1 favourites
  • but at 60fps the sprites will "jump" 40pixels every tick, if they move from one side to the other in a second, it cannot be "silky smooth" movement?

• Well, I managed to eventually set my resolution to half (now 954 x 480) but I still see the janking :(

• but at 60fps the sprites will "jump" 40pixels every tick, if they move from one side to the other in a second, it cannot be "silky smooth" movement?

Front 'janky' plants move like this:

lerp(self.X, Self.X-(train_speed*(Self.speed_adjust)), dt)

• its just math. if something moves 1920 pixels in one seconds, and the screen refreshes 60 times per second, then it will "jump" 1920/60 = 32 pixels every time the screen draw a new frame.

just for the fun of it. try to make the plants go really slow and see if you see any jankyness still

whats the resolution of all our sprites, what does it say about RAM usage in the project statistics?

• > but at 60fps the sprites will "jump" 40pixels every tick, if they move from one side to the other in a second, it cannot be "silky smooth" movement?

Front 'janky' plants move like this:

lerp(self.X, Self.X-(train_speed*(Self.speed_adjust)), dt)

Omg wait read this, just remembered after realising you use lerp. Try the formula below "Perfect Accuracy".

construct.net/en/blogs/ashleys-blog-2/using-lerp-delta-time-924

• Its less noticeable at slow speeds but its still there.

Memory usage on device is around 60-70

Cpu usage around 50.

• Sometimes I run into this, but it is usually not a critical issue that would prevent game release.

It seems this stutter is not related to framerate, but to how fast objects are drawn.

If the issue was related to framerate, the whole frame would pause for a fraction of second.. but in your video, only a horizontal section is affected.

Since you are using web preview, I suggest you test with other exports: (web on pc/mac, web on mobile, standalone desktop export..) and different browsers, it might be related to how browsers draw fast objects.

Did you experiment with the Advanced settings in your project settings? Framerate, composition, and GPU?

If you still believe this to be a bug, you can open an issue for it and attach your Cacti sample project along with your tests and findings.

• Hi, I tried with the a = lerp(a, b, 1 - f ^ dt) approach but I still see exactly the same result on device.

I have a new 60fps video here in which you can see the issue even at quite a slow speed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdpl5dp06psnv5h/Jank2.mp4?dl=0

Delphawi I think I've tried all the advanced options tried reducing resolution etc etc.

I'm really only concerned with the Android device build where this is happening as its perfectly fine on PC.

..I just tried with the inbuilt move behaviour too. Its just as horrible.

• I wrote a standalone project to test with the very basics. 60fps but still get the jank on device.

Its more noticeable at max speed and on my Galaxy A7 janks about every 3-4 seconds.

Project is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wq0z2lhtggj7e7/JankTest1.c3p?dl=0

• hey it's maybe ur events moving a ton of sprites from the end back to the start in one big go, maybe try and make it happen more progressively if that'S when the jank happens

• The events just move each sprite back to the right edge when each one individually reaches a certain point in the x. Its already progressive. Have a look at the c3p to see whats going on in more detail if you like.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Grimmy Try keeping your eyes fixed on the dot in the centre of the screen while you are adjusting the speed slider, and view the white boxes passing by with your peripheral vision. Don't let your eyes wander, do you see the jank then?

For me, the "jank" only occurs if you shift your focus to another location quickly. This is because your eyes have estimated where each of the objects in your periphery are, then when you shift your vision to their expected location, your eyes have not compensated for the amount of movement of the object during the time it takes you to switch focus (more noticeable at higher speeds). The jank you see is the late compensation for the miscalculation of position by your eyes.

project file: 1drv.ms/u/s!AkmrWgxeuxlKhJt46jWZqHUqO2qsQg

• It's definitely a thing and not an optical illusion where the game can freeze for a few ms from high cpu use, even on pc, even when fps is 60+.

• It's definitely a thing and not an optical illusion where the game can freeze for a few ms from high cpu use, even on pc, even when fps is 60+.

Exactly, and this only happens so noticably in C3 and not with other engines. Other engines running at 60 FPS are so buttery smooth you can instantly tell the difference.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)