Question about best practices

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Best car suspension with spring effect and very cool terrain generation.
  • Hi folks I'm new here and I have a few questions about the general setup of the layout:

How big should be the size of the canvas? In terms of weight on the game and elements, is there any recommended size?

Is .png24 a good format for importing graphics with transparency? Since it retains the transparency very well I would like to use it but will it affects negatively the size of the game?

While working on a project for mobile phone, it is a good idea to build it with "arrow" controls in order to test it faster on the desktop computer?

Any other strategic tips about how to approach a game would be very welcome.

Thanks folks

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You'll need key movement to test it on desktop but you'll have to think about your own design and how movement would work on a phone so that when it comes to finishing the game you are not stuck with no way to play it. Size of layout doesn't matter but make sure memory use is as low as possible for mobile games.

• Thanks a lot. Is there a way to check how much memory a game is using/consuming and can u tell how much is a good number and how much is to much?

• PNG is pretty much the standard.

Definitely have a way to test your game using PC controls. Remote preview is pretty nifty, but still slower than testing directly on PC.

Make sure you join the Discord as you'll find a lot of help on there: discord.gg/kj8Nbp4f

• Thanks a lot. Is there a way to check how much memory a game is using/consuming and can u tell how much is a good number and how much is to much?

It shows a memory usage estimate in the editor, although this is usually the value of the layout that uses the most memory so it won't be consistently using that much. It should display at the bottom of the editor window, try some settings and if you can't find it or get it to show then I will take a look. They say getting it below 100mb for a mobile game is something to aim for.

• I agree, Definitely have a way to test your game using PC controls.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)