Pegging online C3 editor to a particular version

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Supports 1D, 2D, 3D arrays. Import and export arrays in JSON format
  • In this tutorial about version control and Construct, there is a warning that versions are not backward compatible and collaborators should refrain from updating the C3 version (rXXX).

But I haven't found an easy way to stop the updates programmatically. How do I stop the updates for those using the online editor? It is unfortunately not sustainable or feasible to rely on everyone hit the correct button on the popup to decline instant updates.

I'll also add that this is for students that are using an Access Code.

Also note that when Construct updates, make sure everyone on your team updates at the same time. Construct project files are not backwards compatible - i.e. you can't open a project saved in r200 in r100. Similarly, while using source control, you cannot merge changes made in r200 back in to a project saved in r100 and keep using it in r100. Since the file format is not backwards compatible, you may corrupt the project. If everyone on the team updates at the same time, you'll avoid this problem.

https://www.construct.net/en/tutorials/collaborate-construct-2390/conclusion-6

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This is another testimony as to why we should have an option to disable auto-updates, but until that happens, you can specify which version your students use by giving them a specific release url, like editor.construct.net/r302 or whatever

You can find a list of stable releases here: construct.net/en/make-games/releases/stable

• Just to clarify, I should have said pegging to a particular C3 release. I want to make clear that the editor itself changing is (probably?) not the problem, the problem is the C3 engine release (unless they are one in the same).

• For us, the users, the engine and the editor are one and the same.

• Thanks so much, GeoffB! The URL approach will work pretty good for our case as I can trust them to go through a specific URL. I wasn't aware of it.

But yes, disabling auto-updates in the future would be wonderful!

• The advice doesn't say "never update Construct". It means you should not try to use source control when everyone's on different versions. The solution is to make sure everyone on your team updates the version of Construct they are using at the same time, and then everything should work fine. Construct prompts you when a new version is available, so when you first see that, just remind everyone on the team to update as well.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)