Help! Editor randomly lagging and freezing

2 favourites
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.

Ohh, you use integrated radeon graphics?

I remember years ago when I got my gaming laptop, I tried Construct 3, and it struggled with a medium/large project, struggled to scroll through events, etc. I tried changing the Nvidia settings to force Chrome to use Nvidia GPU, but failed. I ended up changing my laptop's BIOS settings to ignore the integrated graphics entirely, and this significantly improved everything for me.

Not to go in circles, but what if the temperature of your integrated graphics is getting too high and throttling itself, but other apps on your computer are using the dedicated Nvidia GPU which means other apps wouldn't freeze at all?

Nothing worse than a random inconsistent issue. Hope you find answers soon.

what if the temperature of your integrated graphics is getting too high and throttling itself, but other apps on your computer are using the dedicated Nvidia GPU which means other apps wouldn't freeze at all?

dGPU on this laptop is only enabled when gaming. All other apps are using integrated graphics. There is an icon in windows tray that shows when a program is using dGPU, so I'm sure about this.

Yeah, I also tried to force Chrome to use dGPU in the past, but didn't have any luck.

The temps are low when I'm working in C3, I've checked them many times. But to test your theory, next time the editor starts to lag I'll put a large ice pack under the laptop, see if it helps :)

My last idea to find the culprit would be Taskmanager of Chrome and Windows.

Try at first the Taskmanager from Chrome, press shift+esc click on the cpu tab (arrow facing down) and wait for a freeze and look if a process comes up. If that doesn't show something special try the Windows Taskmanager (Processes Tab and CPU Tab). It could be a window service that causes trouble.

Let me share my experience

I got a laptop & now I develop in it (earlier computer was there). I noticed that after 30 minutes the editor lags considerably (but for me that was problematic)

Then I realised that it only happens when laptop is not plugged in (when laptop is plugged in, the problem did not occur)

So my suggestion is that try with laptop plugged in. If problem disappears then "battery optimisation" is the culprit (Windows & AMD Software:-I have Ryzen 5600H)

Thanks. In my case the laptop is always plugged in. And the power management profile is always set to "High performance".

Is it possible for you to work on your project from a different device to rule out if it's device specific?

Did your project is use large images(For example, the resolution is very high)

or use large Margins on the Layout? (Layout size is normal, but the margins are large. once time I wanted to make an big world where the player moves around in a scene with one shot. Using a very large Margins, and it often lagging..)

XHXIAIEIN Large images - no, large layouts - yes. But I don't see how this can explain the random nature of the problem. I can be working with events for an hour without any lags, and it would suddenly freeze for 20 seconds when I enter a new action or edit a comment.

1StepCloser I can try, but my other laptop is very old and low spec. It will probably be just constantly slow.

Asmodean Thanks, I didn't know about the task manager in Chrome. It doesn't show anything useful though. During the freezes the CPU value for Construct 3 tab jumps to 100-150. But nothing else changes.

Windows Task manager only shows a small increase in CPU usage for Chrome - from ~3% to 6-7%. There are no spikes for other apps or services.

Jase00 I managed to force Chrome to use my Nvidia GPU. The editor did feel a bit faster overall. But it didn't fix the occasional freezes unfortunately.

Then it's really Chrome or Chrome based browsers and it can't be some weird setting because the problem appeared on all browsers. Have you tried one of your projects on another computer with chrome?

it won't let me in the free arcade can and you help me?

can you help me not and

+1 for this issue. Getting small lag spikes when using the editor.

For me, it's mainly noticeable when autofill does it's thing - if I type out an object quickly and hit tab, sometimes it doesn't register all the letters and will pick a different object that starts with the same first letter. For example, I want to compare a condition with a 'bugWorm' object, so I quickly type 'bugW' followed by tab into the field, but it will pick 'bugFly' instead.

Not the end of the world as I just have to slow down a second (literally just a second) to make sure it's filtered down before hitting tab.

Though, I did have one lag spike yesterday and the editor never recovered. Had to revert to an autosave.

Thinking about this though, I think it might be happening more the longer my project is open. It's not unusual for me to have the project open for +12 hours a day. I'll have to pay attention to when this happens in relation to how long I've had the editor open for.

I actually remember this issue happening to me a few times. I'd type something in and Construct wouldn't respond. There were a few times when it even booted me off due to the editor crashing meaning any unsaved work was lost (I have the backup option enabled which I couldn't bother to use unless the actual file for a game I was working on couldn't be found again.) Pretty sure it even happened because Grammarly spotted a spelling mistake and when I clicked the word, it crashed.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

Also, what is going on with the arcade? I'm trying to open it but it doesn't let me. Weird...

Here is what I found about why we can't use the Arcade:

Damn...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)