Construct3 Performance after porting from Construct2

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • I see that in the features lists that is mentions an upgrade in the rendering for C3

"Construct 3 uses top-of-the-line in-browser rendering technology with WebGL 2 support (based on OpenGL ES 3), a significant upgrade on Construct 2's OpenGL 1.1 based renderer."

The questions I have are:

1) Those of you that have ported a game from C2 to C3, have you noticed much in the way of performance increases?

2) If there's a game that is rather heavy on the CPU, would compiling it in C3 help to increase it's performance and second to that if that's the case, does that mean that it would then potentially become playable on lower spec hardware?

3) Have there been any gotchas when porting over? Are there for example any problems with third party plug-ins not working and therefore making a port a total failure?

4) Is the size of the final project effected? Is the file size smaller or greater? Smaller would be nice to increase download speed.

Appreciate any input from anybody that has real world experience moving existing games to C2.

Thanks

• Just go ahead and try it friend ! Nothing is stopping you from taking your construct 2 project file and opening it in construct 3 and seeing how it works !!

• That is true, but there's nothing like input from others that have done it.

If I get one or two games going it's not solid evidence that all games work

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I don't understand, if it works for you then use it.

If someone says it doesn't work for them but it works for you, you won't use it ? I'm really confused

• It's simple, I am trying to assertain whether there are any potential issues that arise. I need to know if porting from C3 to C2 ever contains issues that I might need to be aware of in the future.

Have you ever ported C2 to C3? If so, how many games?

• The line you quoted refers to the editor, not the game runtime. C3 currently re-uses the same runtime as C2, so your game should run identically in C3 to how it did in C2. However C3 is getting a new runtime soon (the C3 runtime) which is completely rewritten and significantly faster.

• got it. Is there any ETA on the release of the new runtime? Any list to be notified?

So once there's a new runtime, it should be possible to recompile all the old C2 games, and gain performance on them, so they will potentially run on hardware that previously struggled a little

• Really excited for this new C3 runtime!

For me, C2 had decent performance, but significantly better with Cocoon (60fps). With C3, it fell in comparison as I still have framerate issues with my game Ruffs Delivery (links below). That's why i'm looking forward to this new runtime as I hope it achieves 60fps!

Reference for performance:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lumicreative.ruffsdelivery

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ruffs-delivery/id1434036286?ls=1&mt=8

• got it. Is there any ETA on the release of the new runtime? Any list to be notified?

So once there's a new runtime, it should be possible to recompile all the old C2 games, and gain performance on them, so they will potentially run on hardware that previously struggled a little

github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/1646

FWIW

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)